Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-25-2010, 03:03 PM   #1

Share |

valspar paint and rollers

I am painting a basement room with valspar paint, which of course is thicker then most normal paint... what would you recommend for a roller cover to use? This is just a normal flat surface wall, and I am using a light colored (Tan) semi-gloss paint thanks!

BlueBSH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010, 05:27 PM   #2
"Beam me up, Scottie"

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueBSH View Post
I am painting a basement room with valspar paint, which of course is thicker then most normal paint... what would you recommend for a roller cover to use? This is just a normal flat surface wall, and I am using a light colored (Tan) semi-gloss paint thanks!
Wooster pro classic 1/2 merino wool $9.50 at Lowes.

Kevin

Kevin M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 01:40 AM   #3
Exotic NooB

I am a brush guy... The paint is thick and yearns to be manhandled.

Besides, you get a great workout and you build your forearms like no tomorrow. Chicks dig guys with arms. Even if you already have a full time chick. She will appreciate you even more. You wont need to answer the e-mails about being small, or call those 800 numbers for the special pills.

My great grandfather was a painter and he lived forever and had over 15 children. He just used a paintbrush. He would say, "Rollers are for sissys." You need to go out and get yourself a fat nylon #5" and you let the wall know who the man of the house is.

Don't cheat youself.
inlikeflint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 04:07 AM   #4
paper hanger and painter

Quote:
Originally Posted by inlikeflint View Post

Besides, you get a great workout and you build your forearms like no tomorrow. Chicks dig guys with arms. Even if you already have a full time chick. She will appreciate you even more. You wont need to answer the e-mails about being small, or call those 800 numbers for the special pills.

My great grandfather was a painter and he lived forever and had over 15 children. He just used a paintbrush. He would say, "Rollers are for sissys." You need to go out and get yourself a fat nylon #5" and you let the wall know who the man of the house is.

Don't cheat youself.
Are you serious?
chrisn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 11:18 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueBSH View Post

I would recommend contacting Valspar directly for their recommendation. I believe it depends on the actual type of paint that you are using vs. the brand (i.e. oil based, etc.) Here is their number: 800-845-9061
DecoratingDiva2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 12:07 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by inlikeflint View Post

Don't cheat youself.
yeah, I'm not exactly going to brush paint 3000 sq ft of wall space...... and I hate brush marks, rollers give it a much more smooth texture...
BlueBSH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2010, 10:05 AM   #7

Sherwin Williams contractor grade are also very nice 1/2" nap
samiller1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2010, 12:10 AM   #8

An old painter who used a brush for everything?!?!?
Was his car a steam-powered unit?!??!

IMO...the best roller-covers are the Purdy White-Doves; OR the Wooster Pro-Dooz's. Corona has awesome covers also...if your store has them.

You'll waste money on "Contractor-grade" covers. Don't make that mistake!

I'm always amazed at the "I've got good paint, and just need a cheap cover..."-logic.
...lordy...lordy...

Faron
Faron79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2010, 02:57 AM   #9
paper hanger and painter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faron79 View Post
An old painter who used a brush for everything?!?!?
Was his car a steam-powered unit?!??!

IMO...the best roller-covers are the Purdy White-Doves; OR the Wooster Pro-Dooz's. Corona has awesome covers also...if your store has them.

You'll waste money on "Contractor-grade" covers. Don't make that mistake!

I'm always amazed at the "I've got good paint, and just need a cheap cover..."-logic.
...lordy...lordy...

Faron
He did not have GOOD paint to begin with.
chrisn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2010, 12:31 PM   #10

wasn't going to say anything about the fact that valspar was being used. when using valspar I don't think it matters what you use to put it on the walls. Not a paint I would pay for. Second I have painted literally hundreds of houses with Sherwin Williams contractor grade roller covers and have never had a problem except for the occasional flat spot on cover but have had them with purdy as well. As for cheap. Cost about the same as a purdy.
samiller1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2010, 02:01 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by samiller1980 View Post
Second I have painted literally hundreds of houses with Sherwin Williams contractor grade roller covers and have never had a problem except for the occasional flat spot on cover but have had them with purdy as well. As for cheap. Cost about the same as a purdy.
I've got some Purdy and SW Contractor covers and I would buy either one again with no hesitation. I personally like the Purdy a bit more but that could simply be the difference in applying paint and primer (Purdy vs. SW respectively.)

cellophane is offline   Reply With Quote