Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-05-2010, 10:33 PM   #1

Share |

valspar paint, not as adverised? or just me?

ok so ive been painting rooms in my house the last week, did first room with a benjamin moore flat finish paint...primed the walls, and 2 coats of paint looks great..here starts my problem..due to the fact i had a 20% off purchase coupon from Lowes, i went there got a bunch of stuff i needed for the house including paint...Valspar paint. ive heard and read for months how this is some kinda paint and primer in 1..and only 1 coat would be needed. wow just 1 coat..ok..im in.

so i buy a gallon, figuring all i need is 1 coat and a gallon would be fine. so the room i go to paint with it has white walls of some kinda eggshell or semi gloss paint on them. knowing this i was very skeptical 1 coat would work, as i have noticed if you try to paint a wall with sheen to it, and dont use primer..al the paint does is kinda smear on and using a brush makes it worse.

so i start to paint and immediatley i can tell 1 coat is not gonna be enough. the first few parts i covered i checked back on like 10 mins later as it begun to dry, and i saw the white of the old wall showin thru all over. i finished the room and its all like that.not only will it need a second coat, i hope the second coat is enough to cover it, thats how much white is showin thru all over. did i maybe do something wrong, i read the can and did all it said. the color i used is a bubblegum pink color is how i can describe it, for a nursery.

any help or experiences with Valspar will be appreciated. i only posted this cause pretty much everything i read online, people seem to love this paint.

thank you

Lethrneck4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2010, 11:26 PM   #2

There aren't many true short cuts in painting. Regardless of the formulation, pink is not going to cover white in one coat. Rule of thumb is to always plan for at least two coats, and avoid gimmicks that ignore the realities of paint chemistry.

Windows is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Windows For This Useful Post:
ric knows paint (12-08-2011)
Old 05-05-2010, 11:55 PM   #3

yes agreed windows...like i said i was skeptical and should have listened to myself on this one. hopefully a second coat makes it all well..what sucks is now i gotta go back and get at least another quart or 2 to finish as im down to 1/4 gallon left and need a second coat
Old 05-05-2010, 11:59 PM   #4

the valspar all in 1 isn't that great. it's what happens when you try and market an invention that never should have been. their cheaper $23 gallon paint is much better than the signature stuff

imo valspar isn't a bad mid level paint but that all in 1 formulation really needs to go
racebum is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to racebum For This Useful Post:
Gymschu (12-08-2011)
Old 05-06-2010, 03:15 AM   #5
paper hanger and painter

You just learned a valuable lesson, just stick with quality paint that you know works.The 20% that you supposedly saved probably will end up costing you more in the long run.
chrisn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2010, 09:59 AM   #6

Paint with the primer already mixed in is BS. In a nutshell Pimers need a certain percentage of ingredients for proper bonding, penetration, surface filling and stain blocking. Paints need a certain percentage of ingredients to have durable, finished surface. Unless they found some magical way to get the primer to stay underneath and the paint to stay on the surface, it's BS.
Matthewt1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2010, 11:57 AM   #7

Lethrneck4,
Good Afternoon,
My name is Jeff B. with Valspar's technical supprt department. I came across your blog and am sorry to hear of the difficulties you encountered with the Valspar Signature Paint. I would like to discuss this with you in greater detail. If you get a moment, please call me at 1-888-313-5569 ask for Jeff at X8603. I will be happy to discuss this with you to see how I can assist. Have a great day!!
Jeff B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2010, 01:56 PM   #8

well Jeff, thanks for the post. theres not much more to say than what i said in my first post. ill let ya all now how it looks after a second coat..but from what im readin here, most everyone seems in agreement paint and primer in 1 doesnt work and is kinda false advertising

agreed Chris. the 2 other rooms ive done with primer and 2 coats of beny moore look very nice..as it is being said on this topic..there are no shortcuts if ya want the job done right...lesson learned
Old 05-06-2010, 05:46 PM   #9
Learning by Doing

Feel free to heap on your scorn, but I like the Valspar Signature line (especially when it is on sale).

This being said, I'm a prime first and two coats (no matter what) kind of girl and I have always been pleased with the results.

- I easily spend three times as much time prepping a paint project as actual painting.
- I use high quality tools.
- I have some basic knowledge and understanding of good technique.

Also, I am three minutes from a Lowes and 45 minutes from a paint store.
Old 05-06-2010, 07:46 PM   #10

leah haha thanks for the post, the comment you made about prep taking 3 times longer than actually painting is so true. ive said that to myself after taping off and throwin drop clothes for an hour..only to be done painting in like 20 minutes, haha..like you said prime first, 2 coats of paint..the way to go
Old 05-06-2010, 08:14 PM   #11

it's actually a good point for many of these threads. prep work and painting ability are 90% of the job. that being said it's often more of the case of either a great job or a failed one than the brand of paint a person uses.
Old 05-08-2010, 09:55 AM   #12

I used valspar in my entire house, even on a particle wood floor waiting to be carpeted,if I were not to get carpet it looks awesome. It works great and in most cases it was a one coat situation, but I do know bright colors, wich I don't have should be prim and prim tint prepared.
fixinit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2010, 06:37 PM   #13
Tired, Cold, and Damp

OP: It's not you...it's the paint
slickshift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2010, 10:50 PM   #14

ok just 1 more little rant, haha. i had to put off puttin the second coat on for a week as other things came up i had to do first..heres another problem this paint gave me.. when i went to take all the tape down i had put up to protect trim etc..the paint actually PEELED off the wall as i pulled it off!! im guessin this is from not using a primer. it pretty much killed 1 whole side of the room where the wall meets the ceiling, gonna be a ***** to fix it and recut it in again. left it all jagged and torn looking..have i said i hate this paint enough times? NEVER AGAIN!
Old 05-14-2010, 10:56 PM   #15

it could be the tape you used. really aggressive tape will pull any latex off. the painters blue from 3m is probably the most latex friendly. some of the white, really sticky tapes will pull any brand of latex from sheetrock. curing is the other thing. 5 year old paint tends to be a good deal harder than 10 hour old.

i think a lot of you guys get way too wrapped up in the brand when technique, prep work and attention to detail can make any half way decent paint look great.

Tags
interior, paint, valspar