Valspar Paint - Painting - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-22-2010, 03:10 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Valspar paint

How good is valspar paint

or what would be a good paint to use for walls and celling i dont like painting so pay people to paint the walls in house im colsing on. wont it to last so it dont need done again in a couple of months painters please help like i said i dont know or like painting!!!!!

Advertisement

buddy75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2010, 05:01 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 250

Valspar paint

Quote:
Originally Posted by buddy75 View Post
or what would be a good paint to use for walls and celling i dont like painting so pay people to paint the walls in house im colsing on. wont it to last so it dont need done again in a couple of months painters please help like i said i dont know or like painting!!!!!
Valspar is low end paint. Get Pratt and Lambert Accolade, SW Superpaint or BM Regal.

Advertisement

hennyh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2010, 05:21 PM   #3

Valspar paint

looking to paint hole house the old lady washs walls monthy what would u rec.
buddy75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2010, 05:00 AM   #4
paper hanger and painter

Rewards Points: 2,240

Valspar paint

Go to ANY real paint store and get your paint. The painters( if professional) will know what to buy and what to avoid. most would avoid any paint from blowes or homely depot.
chrisn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2010, 07:11 AM   #5
DIY staff

Rewards Points: 3,332

Valspar paint

I've had only two experiences with Valspar--Both very bad.

I found it to be thin with absolutely horrible coverage.

First experience---Bought 10 gal to paint ceilings--gave it up as unusable--sprayed the basement rafters with it--that was a waste of time.too.

Second experience ---Customer supplied paint for a bath room.--Opened can--tried one brush full--
sent customer out to get Benjamin Moore.
oh'mike is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2010, 06:40 PM   #6
paper hanger and painter

Rewards Points: 2,240

Valspar paint

Quote:
Originally Posted by oh'mike View Post
I've had only two experiences with Valspar--Both very bad.

I found it to be thin with absolutely horrible coverage.

First experience---Bought 10 gal to paint ceilings--gave it up as unusable--sprayed the basement rafters with it--that was a waste of time.too.

Second experience ---Customer supplied paint for a bath room.--Opened can--tried one brush full--
sent customer out to get Benjamin Moore.
chrisn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2010, 11:15 PM   #7

Valspar paint

I think its just a matter of what u like when it comes to paint.A burger is a burger some like McDonalds while others like burger king and then some are faithful to Wendys.they are all burgers and they all get you full.I have painted my whole Home with Valspar premium line of paint.I have no complaints.I did try that olympia brand which is really crap just no for me
ckr31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2010, 11:53 PM   #8
(the original)

Rewards Points: 642

Valspar paint

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckr31 View Post
I think its just a matter of what u like when it comes to paint.A burger is a burger some like McDonalds while others like burger king and then some are faithful to Wendys.they are all burgers and they all get you full.I have painted my whole Home with Valspar premium line of paint.I have no complaints.I did try that olympia brand which is really crap just no for me

Ummm....yeah...so paint's paint and all restaurants have drive through windows? You need to get out more.

I nominate that for most idiotic post of the year.
ratherbefishin' is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2010, 12:00 AM   #9

Rewards Points: 83

Valspar paint

I've seen many posts where Valspar gets trashed, but I have had a good experience with it. I painted my entire last house in Valspar and I'm part way through my current house, and I don't really have any complaints (especially considering the price). Granted, I'm just a weekend warrior and I've never tried "good" paint like BM or SW, so maybe I just don't know what I'm missing.

I will say that cutting in along baseboards and ceilings usually takes me a long time, and a thicker paint would probably help. I always do 2 coats also. For people who make a living doing this, it probably saves a lot of time using a better quality paint.
cumak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2010, 02:49 AM   #10

Rewards Points: 500

Valspar paint

it's really not that bad of a paint to shoot with an airless. my quam with it is where it's priced. if it was $12 a gallon i could understand it. problem is, they have it priced against classic 99 / promar 200 and it's not as easy to apply with a brush or roller. there is also one more cavat with valspar. some colors don't cover worth a damn while others do. between that and the price i'm not sure why anyone would consider it unless sherwin williams was a LONG ways away. it is better than behr though....usually. their signature line is also not bad but again, priced high for what it is.
racebum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2010, 08:39 PM   #11

Rewards Points: 1,070

Valspar paint

It severly overpriced for what it is. At $32 a gallon it barely keeps up with the contractor paint fro SW and BM that is $10 less.

Advertisement

Matthewt1970 is offline   Reply With Quote