Using A Roller Paint Pump - Painting - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-11-2011, 01:52 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Using a Roller Paint Pump

I see that Ryobi has a pump that uses a gallon of paint to pump to one or two rollers, simultaneously.

My experience level is, forty years ago I did some professional painting (college job), did a good bit of painting and varnishing on boats, and felt I got a good handle on things then, but everything changes and I'm not really up on them.

The Ryobi Duet just went down in price, and I remember from my most recent "job," my daughter's room, that about 50% of the time was filling the roller, filling the roller pan, moving the roller pan and the ladder it was perched on.

I will eventually paint the entire 2,000 sq. ft. interior of our house, so there's a LOT of painting in my future, and if this will work, I will try it, but trust those with more current experience, who are up to date with things.

Does anybody have experience with either this specific machine, or similar tools?

Is it foolish to think it would save me time?

Thanks.

Don.

Advertisement

WestofLongBeach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 05:27 PM   #2
jschaben

Rewards Points: 502

Quote:
Originally Posted by WestofLongBeach View Post
I see that Ryobi has a pump that uses a gallon of paint to pump to one or two rollers, simultaneously.

My experience level is, forty years ago I did some professional painting (college job), did a good bit of painting and varnishing on boats, and felt I got a good handle on things then, but everything changes and I'm not really up on them.

The Ryobi Duet just went down in price, and I remember from my most recent "job," my daughter's room, that about 50% of the time was filling the roller, filling the roller pan, moving the roller pan and the ladder it was perched on.

I will eventually paint the entire 2,000 sq. ft. interior of our house, so there's a LOT of painting in my future, and if this will work, I will try it, but trust those with more current experience, who are up to date with things.

Does anybody have experience with either this specific machine, or similar tools?

Is it foolish to think it would save me time?

Thanks.

Don.

Hi Don - I've never used one of the things but haven't heard much good about them either, here's some amazon reviews. Note that the single 5 star review was from a guy that hadn't plugged it in yet...
http://www.amazon.com/Factory-Recond...owViewpoints=1

Advertisement

"Where all think alike, no one is thinking very much"
jschaben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 06:26 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 1,070

That one doesn't even appear to work very good. The ones that do are a total pain in the @55 to properly clean. They don't save enough time for the casual user and won't hod up to professional every day use.
Old 10-11-2011, 07:08 PM   #4
ltd

Rewards Points: 508

i'm not a tool authority and i don't play on tv. but i don't think ryobi is a quality tool. this might help . i like to roll out of a 5 gal bucket with a screen .if that's not for you then you can get a deeper pan at a paint store ,i don't think the big boxes sell them.also always use a adjustable stick and never hook your paint tray on your step ladder.
ltd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 07:40 PM   #5

Thanks for the information. Some reviews on the HD site were positive, about 60%, hardly a "sweep".

I have a high tolerance for goofing around with gadgets, but life's too short if it won't really save me time.

Don.
Old 10-11-2011, 07:44 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by jschaben View Post
Hi Don - I've never used one of the things but haven't heard much good about them either, here's some amazon reviews. Note that the single 5 star review was from a guy that hadn't plugged it in yet...
http://www.amazon.com/Factory-Recond...owViewpoints=1
I saw that device while looking around. In fairness, it isn't the one I'm considering. It received almost no positive reviews on the HD site, and I think one would have to consider that the one or two positives are outliers and not significant. It is designated the "Duet 1" while I'm looking at the Duet. One cautionary fact: the Duet 1 is now being offered for $49. Not Euros, dollars!

There were some happy users of the Duet.

Don.
Old 10-11-2011, 08:33 PM   #7
Rubbin walls since'79

Rewards Points: 2,000

I have been a pro painter for about 30 years. I bought one once, used it once. I could go into detail but..
Nothing that I know of works as good as a roller and brush done skillfully. Even spray jockeys will backroll.
We all want to save time, but there is a reason you don't see pros using this kind of set up.
And it will not make a DIY work like a pro.
Gymschu (10-11-2011), jsheridan (10-11-2011)
Old 10-11-2011, 08:41 PM   #8

Rewards Points: 250

My opinion? If you lived closer, I would give you one. For me it makes painting harder than its supposed to be.
MikeKy55 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to MikeKy55 For This Useful Post:
Gymschu (10-11-2011)
Old 10-11-2011, 09:18 PM   #9

Rewards Points: 1,000

Brushjockey had it, If they worked more pros would use them. I've been around a long time myself, and I've never seen a pro use one, ever.
jsheridan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jsheridan For This Useful Post:
Gymschu (10-11-2011)
Old 10-13-2011, 09:28 AM   #10

Rewards Points: 1,000

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeKy55 View Post
My opinion? If you lived closer, I would give you one. For me it makes painting harder than its supposed to be.
What, you wouldn't drop it off for him?

Advertisement

jsheridan is offline   Reply With Quote