Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-24-2013, 11:51 PM   #1

Share |

Using heat gun near vinyl siding

Hi!

I need to repaint wooden window frames. I was planning on using a heat gun to strip the old paint. Problem is, our house is covered with vinyl siding.
I've never used a heat gun before, just don't want to ignite a whole house with a press of the button.
I was wondering if any of you have any experience with it, maybe some tips to share?

Cheers,
s

sickac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 01:24 AM   #2

Vinyl will easily melt/warp. I would not use a heatgun anywhere near vinyl. You also need to be careful with any strippers near vinyl, especially if the wife is around. I would first go after it with a palm sander.

Old 05-25-2013, 02:15 AM   #3
Retired from the grind

Quote:
Originally Posted by sickac View Post
Hi!

I need to repaint wooden window frames. I was planning on using a heat gun to strip the old paint. Problem is, our house is covered with vinyl siding.
I've never used a heat gun before, just don't want to ignite a whole house with a press of the button.
I was wondering if any of you have any experience with it, maybe some tips to share?

Cheers,
s
Do not use it, unless you know how to use it. As for the wood, there are other methods out there, besides sanding all day. You just need to scrape the loose stuff off, then sand any chalky surfaces that the primer will not adhere to, before you apply paint.

Look at it as a team effort, when it comes to this stuff, due to depending on how many windows you have, and how large they are, you can spend anywhere from a couple of hours, to a whole day on just one window frame.

Post some pictures of the front, back, sides showing what you are dealing with, so that we can give you better ideas on how to attack this task.
Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Ren: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool! Stimpy: So what'll happen? Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?
gregzoll is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 02:54 AM   #4
registered

Big mistake. Have a neighbor who put his Weber charcoal grill to close to side of his house. Smoked a small section on the vinyl
747 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 05:50 AM   #5

May want to concider looking into having all the trim wrapped in coil stock so you never have to paint it again.
Old 05-25-2013, 02:25 PM   #6

Photos:

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/09yo252zc4qlz4m/mz4WbN4KsS

Wood is in surprisingly good shape. There are few rotten spots, you can easily see them on the photos. I'm planning on scarping those as much as I can and then maybe treat them with something preventing mold growth (any recommendations?). Next step would be to fill those holes with some kind of wood repair material, prime and paint. What do you think about those grooves in the sill? Can I use the same wood repair material (is there a better word for it?) to fill those grooves? Also - do you think I should caulk those gaps between the frame and vinyl siding? There are wooden shingles behind the vinyl, can't really say much if they are in a good shape as a whole but areas I was able to get to are fine.

I really appreciate all your help, as well as jokes Matthew1970

Cheers,
sic
Old 05-25-2013, 03:08 PM   #7
Retired from the grind

That comes from non-maintenance, and letting water gather at the sill, which is why the wood moulding and sills are rotting. Those look like aftermarket units dropped into the original frames. You may be better off, just pulling away the vinyl siding, and replace the windows with New construction units, then keeping the old rotted framing in there for the long run.
Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Ren: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool! Stimpy: So what'll happen? Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?
Old 05-25-2013, 07:00 PM   #8
Too Short? Cut it Again!

I think you might find that a SHARP pull type scraper will do the job for you.
user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 07:10 PM   #9

Seriously doubt you can do it. A few years ago I noticed some of the vinyl siding on the back of my house was warping. Took me awhile to figure out why. I used to have my grill on the deck near that area.
jeffnc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 09:44 PM   #10

I have some updates:

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/09yo252zc4qlz4m/mz4WbN4KsS

I decided to try a heat gun, mainly it looked so good on youtube
Overall, I have mixed feelings. It started really good, I think it took less than 5 minutes to get rid of paint on the sill entirely. Then, a real work started - vertical part of the frame, much, much slower. In order to prevent siding from melting I took a piece of 1/4" plywood and stapled some thin sheet of metal on it, so plywood does not catch fire. You can see it among other photos. It worked really well, although I was extra cautious.
I then sand it with palm sander (40 and then 120 grit), took care of corners with oscillating tool, cleaned it with a wire brush and was called for a dinner Overall, whole process took 2h, for a sill and one side of the frame, a little long. At the same time - I've never done it before, I'm sure with some experience it would take much less time.

I hope tomorrow I'll be able to speed things a little.

Cheers,
sic
The Following User Says Thank You to sickac For This Useful Post:
gregzoll (05-25-2013)
Old 05-25-2013, 10:55 PM   #11
Retired from the grind

It usually goes faster after you figure out what to do the first run through.
Old 05-26-2013, 05:49 PM   #12

Good for you for using caution and taking your time. Our neighbor's husband just used a heat gun around their door trim to take off hot glue gun glue that has been up there for a few years (like 7). Warped the vinyl siding and the wife is PISSED. I'd hate to be in that house for the next few days...or ever.
kimberland30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 06:07 PM   #13
Retired from the grind

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimberland30 View Post
Good for you for using caution and taking your time. Our neighbor's husband just used a heat gun around their door trim to take off hot glue gun glue that has been up there for a few years (like 7). Warped the vinyl siding and the wife is PISSED. I'd hate to be in that house for the next few days...or ever.
If they are able to find same style and color of vinyl siding, it is not that much of a problem to replace the warped or damaged pieces.

Tags
heat gun, vinyl