Using Frozen/Thawed Paint - Painting - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-08-2014, 08:57 AM   #1
Chris from Philadelphia

Rewards Points: 103

Using Frozen/Thawed Paint

Can you use paint after it has frozen and thawed? How about spackle and caulk?

Advertisement

hellohello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2014, 09:38 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 500

I was always taught not to use paint that had been frozen at all. But in a recent issue of SW pro painter magazine the paint chemist that answers questions on the last page said that if after the paint has thawed out, it maintained a smooth consistency when stirred, and did not have any lumps in it, it was likely ok to use...

As far as spackle and caulk, supposedly most of those type products are stable through a certain number of freeze/thaw cycles. In reality, spackle seems to generally do ok after a freeze, but caulk doesn't.

I have been told by retailers that the newer low VOC paints on the market now are much more prone to freeze damage that the old stuff.

Advertisement

Jmayspaint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2014, 09:51 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 2,670

I have heard the same thing about the new VOC paints. Will freeze quite a bit easier.
ToolSeeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2014, 05:05 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 2,278

I, too avoid using thawed paint at all costs. It may look ok and apply ok but long term I don't have a good feel for how it's going to perform on a wall. I often use frozen spackle because I forget it in my truck and it freezes up time after time. JMays, like you, I don't like to use frozen caulking.
Gymschu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 03:03 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 296

Sometimes frozen or partially frozen paint recovers, sometimes it does not. Lower and No-VOC products doe not have much protection against this, and the solution is about half water.
Will22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 05:58 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 254

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellohello View Post
Can you use paint after it has frozen and thawed? How about spackle and caulk?
hello hellohello...

Most quality latex paints (and caulking) have a "freeze-thaw" stability of 5 - 6 cycles...What that means is (theoretically) that the paint can freeze solid - then thawed completely - 5 times before the resin has been rendered incapable of any longer being able to perform as intended...

Typically a manufacturer will question whether the paint has returned to a uniform consistency when determining if the product is still viable - but often times, paint that has frozen (beyond it's ability to recover successfully) will have a strange semi-gelatinous appearance and feel to it - it may look "clumpy" ...or it may have the appearance of cottage cheese - even though the products may still be categorized as a "liquid"...Consistency is kinda the key here. If it appears consistent, and if it still has the ability to dry uniformly - and doesn't exhibit foul smelling odors - you're probably OK to go with it.

Truth is, you may have more problems painting with product that has been stored in an unheated garage that hasn't frozen, but is still very cold due to where it's been stored...whether it's ever actually been frozen or not. Latex paints cure by coalescence. Cold paint or cold surfaces (walls) being painted, can disrupt a latex paint's ability to form a film properly. If that process is disturbed, the product will never dry as hard and impervious as it's supposed to be...the color may never develop as it is supposed to & the product may never be able to "touch-up" without being noticeable - even if touching up with the exact same bucket that was originally used... Coalescence issues can even affect the adhesion of the product and make repainting difficult.

The point to learn here is store paint in warm temps - for northern climates, a basement is a far better storage area than is an un-heated garage or shed. If it must be stored in colder temps - make sure that when you're ready to paint the product is brought inside and allowed to warm up to product temps above 50 degrees.

Good luck to you...I hope this information was more helpful than confusing.
ric knows paint is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ric knows paint For This Useful Post:
Gymschu (02-10-2014), Jmayspaint (02-10-2014), ToolSeeker (02-10-2014)
Old 02-10-2014, 07:07 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 2,670

I had always heard about the freeze thaw cycles but I always heard just a couple. But I wasn't sure wether or not the new formulations and Ovoc had changed that.
ToolSeeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 09:05 PM   #8
ltd

Rewards Points: 508

I gave a gal . of frozen solid superpaint flat to a painter friend of mine. he said he shook it up, but the clumps never went away.he strained it and said it was ok . .I would never use it on one of my jobs ,oh well whatever.i hate the winter .caulk ,paint, spray bottles,spackel,some times your so tired you forget to bring it in at night .also this deep freeze is tough on my old van.
ltd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 10:50 PM   #9

Rewards Points: 254

Quote:
Originally Posted by ltd View Post
I gave a gal . of frozen solid superpaint flat to a painter friend of mine. he said he shook it up, but the clumps never went away.he strained it and said it was ok . .I would never use it on one of my jobs ,oh well whatever.i hate the winter .caulk ,paint, spray bottles,spackel,some times your so tired you forget to bring it in at night .also this deep freeze is tough on my old van.
I gotta agree with you, ltd...I think there's too great a chance for problems - I'm not sure it's worth taking on that risk to save the price of a gallon of paint.

ToolSeeker - you bring up a good point...With the new lower VOC formulations, I don't know if manufacturers still makes the same claims about freeze thaw stability...I'm gonna look into that.
ric knows paint is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ric knows paint For This Useful Post:
ToolSeeker (02-11-2014)
Old 02-12-2014, 12:04 PM   #10

Rewards Points: 296

Most manufacturers do not promise freeze/thaw cycles on latex paint products, most likely due to liability with shipping practices and storage situations. Shipments out of plants are generally not done in heated trailers, and there are clearly marked directives on bills of lading and on pallets stating DO NOT FREEZE. Even if products go through a partial freeze, it can have a detrimental effect on the performance of the paint.

Advertisement

Will22 is offline   Reply With Quote