DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

Using Flat Paint on Flat Paint that had been touched up with Gloss!

2K views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  Nestor_Kelebay 
#1 ·
Hello everyone!

I've just repainted a room in our newly-purchased house. The walls had white flat paint; I repainted with a flat color.

Unknown to me, some sections of the wall had been "touched up" by the previous owner with some sort of gloss. (I'm guessing semi-gloss.)

The walls, on the whole, look good. But there are a number of noticeable blotches.

Anyone have advice on how to remedy this is the most effective and easiest way?

I ran a second coat over a few blotches on one 'test wall', and it looks a bit better on the whole. I just worry about flaking, if the flat doesn't fully adhere.

Do I need to sand down to the gloss to scuff that up and then repaint? I'd really rather not, if there's a way to work around this.

Thanks for any help!

#2 ·
Take some ordinary yellow masking tape and put it over one of those "blotches". Press the tape down, and then pull it off quickly. If the top coat of paint comes off with the tape, then you need to do something to improve adhesion.

Maybe just take a paper towel and wet it with acetone and dissolve all the paint in the area of each blotch. Then just reprime and repaint those areas.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.