Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-18-2008, 06:38 PM   #1

Share |
Question

Using Exterior Latex Paint

I am currently repainting my front door and shutters with Ben. Moore Latex Paint. The guy at the store told me I did not need to prime anything just to clean it off. The door is black and I am painting it a red color. I painted it in the shade to avoid any direct sun light. After I finished my first coat everything was very streaky. I waited for a while to put on a second. Even after a few hours it was still tacky but I put on a second coat anyway. It is not as streaky but it still looks pretty bad. It looks the same as if someone did a bad stain job on wood. I am going to let it dry over night. Does anyone have any suggestions? Am I doing something wrong? I haven't started the shutters yet because I am waiting to see what happens with the door.

fedx12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2008, 09:03 PM   #2
Tired, Cold, and Damp

Need to know:
What is the door made out of?
What type/kind of paint was on there (the black stuff)?
What Ben Moore product are you putting on there exactly?

slickshift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2008, 06:48 AM   #3

We recently bought the house about two years ago so I do not know the exact type of paint on the front door. I know it is some type of flat black paint. It is solid wood, that is all I know. The paint I am using is 100% acrylic latex exterior paint by Benjamin Moore (soft gloss).
fedx12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2008, 09:05 AM   #4
DuvalBob

It sounds like you have a bright or very dark red color. If this was tinted in the store as opposed to as factory color it will most likely take 3 to 4 coats to look solid. The black base is OK and should not be a problem. Once you get it covered, do not try to touch it up, you will see every spot.

Benjamin Moore has a new product called Aura. I do not know if the exterior version is available in you area yet. If it is, this will cover beautifully in no more than 2 coats, no matter what color.

Good luck.
duvalbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2008, 10:42 AM   #5

You need to let it dry 24 hours between coats. Colors like that have so much pigment in them that it retards the dry time. Putting another coat on too quickly will reactivate the first coat and degrade the coverage.
Old 04-19-2008, 10:26 PM   #6
Tired, Cold, and Damp

^^^^^
All true

But at this point I'm not sure if your idea of streaky is that you are over-brushing, or putting it on too thick, and/or not letting the paint dry overnight before re-coating, or your black door was in fact oil-based and you are getting the latex over oil slide

Or it's just normal and needs two more coats

Could you be more specific as to 'streaky'
Like "saggy"?
Or like "can see streaks of black"?
slickshift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2008, 11:22 AM   #7

Better yet can you get a good photo?
Old 04-21-2008, 05:30 PM   #8
Advice worth 2 cents!

over brushing

too thick

not enough time between coats

- I SHOULD MIND MY OWN BUSINESS!
Old 04-27-2008, 01:19 AM   #9
Pro Painter

Quote:
Originally Posted by fedx12 View Post
I am currently repainting my front door and shutters with Ben. Moore Latex Paint. The guy at the store told me I did not need to prime anything just to clean it off. The door is black and I am painting it a red color. I painted it in the shade to avoid any direct sun light. After I finished my first coat everything was very streaky. I waited for a while to put on a second. Even after a few hours it was still tacky but I put on a second coat anyway. It is not as streaky but it still looks pretty bad. It looks the same as if someone did a bad stain job on wood. I am going to let it dry over night. Does anyone have any suggestions? Am I doing something wrong? I haven't started the shutters yet because I am waiting to see what happens with the door.
You'll have better luck on the shutters.

Sounds like the new color isn't covering, and that's normal.

Flat black is much more co-operative than, say, a semi-gloss red. In addition to what PapaMeth said, two full coats in one day sort of "smothers" the paint so it can't air out properly. For example, if you apply one coat today and sand it tomorrow or the next day, it should "powder up" and sand eaisily.
If you apply two coats today and sand it 3 days from now, it will "gum" up, "ball" up and melt onto the sandpaper. This applies to semi-gloss deep tint. A flat won't necessarily gum up with two coats.

That being said, I like to apply a very THIN coat first, let it dry, then an average coat over that, the same day. No back and forth with the brush, 3 strokes max. Just to build it up a bit. The first (thin) coat reactivates and grabs onto the second coat. But, it won't be so thick as to retard the drying process. That's about the only small chance I would take in your situation.

You should put a coat on all the shutters before going back to the door.

Last edited by joewho; 04-27-2008 at 01:47 AM.
joewho is offline   Reply With Quote