Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-20-2010, 04:46 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 25

Using Behr stain ?

I just purchased a 5 gals of Behr acrylic wood stain/waterproofer. It will be used to stain my privacy fence. Should I return it and get an oil based stain? Also, how long should I let the wood dry after a rain? 24 hrs? The wood has never been treated and is a little over a year old.

Thanks!

wkumtrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2010, 05:04 PM   #2
Painting Company, NY

Rewards Points: 514

Using Behr stain ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by wkumtrider View Post
I just purchased a 5 gals of Behr acrylic wood stain/waterproofer. It will be used to stain my privacy fence. Should I return it and get an oil based stain? Also, how long should I let the wood dry after a rain? 24 hrs? The wood has never been treated and is a little over a year old.

Thanks!

If you are using a solid or semi-solid on the fence I would use an acrylic latex, if its a translucent I would use an alkyld, a fence and a decks walking surface are totally different, a quality acrylic stain will retain the color better, mildew resistant, and will fade slower, I have seen acrylic deck stains last just as long as oil base deck stains, most decks that I've seen an acrylic stain on it is only the walking surface that's wore, but that will happen with any stain, proper prep is key and a lot of people don't realize what proper prep for deck staining is, its more than just washing the deck, its using the right cleaners, stripping if needed, neutralizing any strippers used, brightening, and sanding as needed. Personally I wouldn't use bear paints or stains for anything.

housepaintingny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2010, 05:10 PM   #3
paper hanger and painter

Rewards Points: 2,102

Using Behr stain ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by wkumtrider View Post

Thanks!

Are you kidding? YES

Shoe polish would work beter.
chrisn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2010, 06:22 PM   #4
Tired, Cold, and Damp

Rewards Points: 2,000

Using Behr stain ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by housepaintingny
If you are using a solid or semi-solid on the fence I would use an acrylic latex, if its a translucent I would use an alkyld, a fence and a decks walking surface are totally different, a quality acrylic stain will retain the color better, mildew resistant, and will fade slower, I have seen acrylic deck stains last just as long as oil base deck stains, most decks that I've seen an acrylic stain on it is only the walking surface that's wore, but that will happen with any stain, proper prep is key and a lot of people don't realize what proper prep for deck staining is, its more than just washing the deck, its using the right cleaners, stripping if needed, neutralizing any strippers used, brightening, and sanding as needed. Personally I wouldn't use bear paints or stains for anything.
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisn
Are you kidding? YES

Shoe polish would work beter.
Yup

Yup

slickshift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2010, 08:44 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 25

Using Behr stain ?

I will return it and plan to get Cobat stain from Lowe's. Hopefully that will be ok.
wkumtrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2010, 12:53 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 10

Using Behr stain ?

I purchased the Behr Premium stain for my deck (in Indiana) and applied it two years ago in the fall. The stain did not make it through the winter and began peeling badly by spring. I went back to the store where I purchased it to complain. I showed them pictures and their response was that I had obviously not applied it correctly. I then proceeded to follow their instructions to the letter to reapply the same stain (obvious learning disability). I sanded the deck, cleaned it with their specified product and reapplied with a special brush. One year later I am right back where I started. At the same time that I applied my Behr Stain I used Olympic on my Mothers deck. I tried to convince her that the "premium" stain would be better but she told me that my father swore by Olympic and she did not want anything else on her deck. Her deck still looks great and mine will be redone for the third time in three years. BTW, I will be using Olympic.
Buzzkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2010, 09:30 AM   #7

Rewards Points: 1,030

Using Behr stain ?

THIS is why you don't use Latex Deck Stain
Matthewt1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2010, 12:39 PM   #8

Rewards Points: 131

Using Behr stain ?

As the one fellow said - Olympic is good. Lowes and others sell it. I was in Lowes and I think they had a sale for the 4th weekend. I have used Wood RX (acrylic) in a hot sunny climate. People who use it in the area like it.

Frank Lardino

FrankL is offline   Reply With Quote