Using Aliphatic Acrylic Urethane - Painting - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-01-2010, 11:20 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

using aliphatic acrylic urethane

I'm thinking about repainting ceramic tiles. I've already painted them but would like to repaint in a glossier color. How hard is it to paint with aliphatic acrylic urethanes? Is it something a diy'er can do or should it be done by proffesional?

Advertisement

ssinc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2010, 03:47 PM   #2
Too Short? Cut it Again!

Rewards Points: 2,000

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssinc View Post
I'm thinking about repainting ceramic tiles. I've already painted them but would like to repaint in a glossier color. How hard is it to paint with aliphatic acrylic urethanes? Is it something a diy'er can do or should it be done by proffesional?
I subcontract such things out and I paint for most of my living. I think if you have coats on ceramic already to start? You are at the mercy of whatever is on the tile to start with.

Trying to paint again may just add expense. The paints you have in mind are like really expensive and if you are blitzing them with water will only last a few years. Why don't you just bite the bullet and re-tile?

Advertisement

user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010, 08:02 AM   #3
Contractor

Acrylic Aliphatic Urethanes are not difficult to apply but they are very dangerous if the correct precautions are not taken. They contain isosyanates that are very deadly (as well as harmful solvents). Many paint stores that sell them cannot colour match properly as they are not permitted to mix the A and B in the store because of the isosyanates (if they dont have a vented cabinet). Make sure you wear the correct carbon filter resperator and have the area well ventilated, make sure someone else is close by if you have a problem. These types of paints are normally not sold retail and only to professionals.

Procedurally wise you would clean the floor, sand the floor to remove gloss and apply a couple coats just like normal paint (has to be mixed first).

Make sure the Acrylic Aliphatic Urethane you want to use is designed as a walked on surface as there are several on the market that are not. Also make sure from the manufacturer that the one you choose is non yellowing or your colour will change in 6 month.
Induspray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010, 08:05 AM   #4
Contractor

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdsester View Post
I subcontract such things out and I paint for most of my living. I think if you have coats on ceramic already to start? You are at the mercy of whatever is on the tile to start with.

Trying to paint again may just add expense. The paints you have in mind are like really expensive and if you are blitzing them with water will only last a few years. Why don't you just bite the bullet and re-tile?
The floor could be painted in couple days with probably $150 in materials and 8 hours of DIY labour, dont know how that would compare against tiles. Of course tiles would have the superior look.
Induspray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010, 08:35 PM   #5

Thanks for your comments. The tiles are on the walls and waaay to many to replace. Can you suggest another idea that I could do to make them look better?
ssinc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010, 08:56 PM   #6
"Beam me up, Scottie"

Rewards Points: 150

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssinc View Post
Thanks for your comments. The tiles are on the walls and waaay to many to replace. Can you suggest another idea that I could do to make them look better?
Perma White will work on tiles and Formica. It costs about $35.00 a gallon and is available at Home Depot. Zinser Product. It is available in a semi gloss which has a high sheen to it.

Kevin

Advertisement

Kevin M. is offline   Reply With Quote