Using An Airless Sprayer - Painting - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-29-2012, 09:05 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Using an Airless Sprayer

Have some big projects to stain and want to use an airless sprayer. Have read on here that it is not as easy as one might think. I am hoping that you can give me some help on using one. I have 80 feet of 7' high cedar fence to do (both sides) and a couple of 12 X !0 sheds. Dont want to spend all summer using a brush and roller. Any advice would be appreciated.

Advertisement

notalotofinfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 04:17 PM   #2
jschaben

Rewards Points: 502

Using an Airless Sprayer

Quote:
Originally Posted by notalotofinfo View Post
Have some big projects to stain and want to use an airless sprayer. Have read on here that it is not as easy as one might think. I am hoping that you can give me some help on using one. I have 80 feet of 7' high cedar fence to do (both sides) and a couple of 12 X !0 sheds. Dont want to spend all summer using a brush and roller. Any advice would be appreciated.
How far apart are the fence boards? More than about 6" I'd go with a garden pump sprayer. Airless would have the stuff all over the neighborhood. 80 ft really isn't that long for a fence.
The sheds you could use with a Power Painter. I wouldn't suggest tying a lot of money up in a big airless. Either way, you should count on an hour or so practice to get the hang of 'em. Everything seems to spray a little different. Most stains don't need thinning but some do. If you can't get a mist similar to a rattle can, it probably needs thinned.

Advertisement

"Where all think alike, no one is thinking very much"
jschaben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 01:56 AM   #3
Phil - "the Paint Guy"

Rewards Points: 25

Using an Airless Sprayer

I help folks use airless sprayers all the time. Based on the amount of area you need to cover an airless sprayer can do the job very quickly but you will use more stain. Airless sprayers can waste up to 50% of material you purchase but you can cover a lot of area too. rentals of airlesses should be around the $75/day range and you could easily accomplish all your projects in about 4 hours provided all surfaces were prepared before hand.

good luck
Cpcphil is offline   Reply With Quote