Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-21-2010, 10:01 PM   #1

Share |

Used primer without stirring and now concerned

I purchased an alkyd primer 2 weeks ago which I only yesterday used to prime some new wood used to repair 3 sets of shutters. Unfortunately, without thinking (because upon opening the can, it looked 'ready to go') I forgot to stir the product and began 'priming'. After 13 hours, although I applied the primer and allowed it to 'dry' in my air-conditioned home, the primer was still pretty tacky.

This a.m. I decided I should stir the can to see how if I could tell how much 'settling' had occured over the 2 week period. There was definitely solids that had settled. After stirring, I decided to 'brush in' with the reconstituted primer to the previously primed areas of 4 of the 6 shutters, but leave 2 shutters alone. The 2 which have been drying for over 24 hours now are still tacky in places. The four I re-coated this a.m. are very tacky this evening and I plan to put a fan in the room overnight to see if I can get these to the point in the next day or 2 so I can paint.

Have I screwed up what might have been a successful paint job had I only stirred the primer? (I only used up 1/2 inch from a quart of primer on the 6 shutters, initially).

Can anyone tell me how long this could take to dry before I can paint them, or if I or, if I need to do something else to get my project back on track?

Thanks,

Last edited by pstoll; 07-21-2010 at 10:06 PM.
pstoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2010, 10:06 PM   #2

Used primer without stirring and now concerned

It's ok, Just give it another day to dry and keep going. Oil based stuff dries slow. I've done the same thing with kilz, you just have to be patient.

lloyd

lloydb is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to lloydb For This Useful Post:
pstoll (07-21-2010)

Tags
painting, primer