Used House Stain Instead Of Deck Stain On A Deck - Painting - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-09-2012, 12:05 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10
Question

used house stain instead of deck stain on a deck

Hello,
This is the first time our deck got stained. Unfortunately we bought house stain instead of deck stain and already applied it. We have used semitransparent stain. Questions:
1. How bad is this? Will it do any damage to a deck?
2. Can it stay on for few years?
4. Is putting on a second layer of correct stain an option?
3. What are we to do?
Thank you,
Yura

Advertisement

Last edited by yura; 07-09-2012 at 12:58 PM.
yura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 08:37 PM   #2
Too Short? Cut it Again!

Rewards Points: 2,000

I wouldn't worry about it if it was a semi-transparent stain. You should put the deck on a 2-3 maintenance schedule anyhow and if this was paint store stain and not horrible box store stuff you should get that out of it.

Advertisement

user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to user1007 For This Useful Post:
Gymschu (07-09-2012), ltd (07-09-2012)
Old 07-10-2012, 08:17 AM   #3

sdsester, thank you for the reply - I REALLY appreciate it. It was a paint store paint, so hopefully it will stay on for a little while, some people suggest removing it. But I have invested so much time and care for initial preparing the deck for painting, I am not sure I am able to go through it again right now.
And what is 2-3 maintenance. Does it mean in 2-3 years I am going to have to remove it anyway for new restrain job?
Thank you very much for your help. I am a new homeowner and really appreciate your help.
Yura
Old 07-10-2012, 09:34 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 536

You keep switching back and forth saying paint then stain.
Which is it you used?
If it's stain your fine.
If you stop by the place where you bought it and ask I'd bet there going to say the only differance of the labeling.
joecaption is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 09:45 AM   #5
Too Short? Cut it Again!

Rewards Points: 2,000

I just tell people that deck maintenance as far as painting (not recommended) or staining is something you should plan to do every 2-3 years. The products say they last milleniums but the fine print disclaimers rider out things like extreme exposure to the elements. If you get more out of a deck stain than 2-3 years than more power to you. But if you find 2-3 years is about right for keeping it nice, you will not be disappointed by the advice to plan for it now. It may not fail or weather completely in 2-3 years but it will start looking faded in places. Keeping it up will extend the nice look of the deck and prolong its life.
user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 05:29 PM   #6

joecaption, it just tells you have much I know about caring for a deck. It was a stain (I thought stain was something like thined down paint, so I didn't pay close attention how I used the words).
sdsester, thank you again, I feel much better. So basically speaking, no matter what I have applied in a few years I would have to completely remove it and apply a new cote of deck stain? If that is the case, I really should stop "crying" about it. We might be paining out house next year or the following for sure, so I will just have a company do the entire job (house & deck)
One more thought. Although the stain for the deck could be a somewhat similar product as stain for the house, but we have a pressure-treated wood and wood siding. So is it the "walking" part that differed or the type of wood it could be applied to?
Once again, I really appreciate all the help. The only thing I wish, that I didn't have to learn on my own mistakes. I will need to read this chat-room more- tons of good information.
Thanks,
Yura

Advertisement