Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-21-2011, 12:44 PM   #1
bvg

Rewards Points: 10

Use Oil or water based kiltz to cover oil base paint?

I am painting a floor that has oil base paint and want to convert to latex paint. Can I use Kiltz2 or must use Kilz oil based to cover? Please help?

bvg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2011, 05:33 PM   #2
Too Short? Cut it Again!

Rewards Points: 2,000

I would use something better than Kilz which includes just about anything else out there. Generally speaking, you can put a superbonding latex primer over oil and then finish with latex products. Things do not work out so well trying to oil over latex finished surfaces.

user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2011, 03:27 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 1,030

The bare minimum I would put on there would be a water based epoxy. Latex products just do not hold on walking surfaces. Is oil not available in your area?
The Following User Says Thank You to Matthewt1970 For This Useful Post:
bvg (06-23-2011)
Old 06-22-2011, 05:15 PM   #4
Painting Company, NY

Rewards Points: 514

If you are painting a floor I would not use kilt. You will want to use a paint designed for walking surfaces. If its a wood floor after preperation I would use Sherwin Williams Tread Plex on the floor.
housepaintingny is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to housepaintingny For This Useful Post:
bvg (06-23-2011)
Old 06-23-2011, 06:40 AM   #5
bvg

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdsester View Post
I would use something better than Kilz which includes just about anything else out there. Generally speaking, you can put a superbonding latex primer over oil and then finish with latex products. Things do not work out so well trying to oil over latex finished surfaces.
Thanks for the heads up. I have just finished my 2nd coat last night, taping diamond pattern, this morning and I AM DONE! I did use a benjamin moore floor primer and now am using latex. It is not a high traffic area, so this is why I wanted to convert to lates, simply easier to handle.
Thanks again, I appreciate the knowledge.

I am simply a "old house" owner/restorer and I have always heard, "Oil base paint can go over water based, but NEVER the opposite. Is there truth to this and would you know why?
Old 06-23-2011, 06:49 AM   #6
bvg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthewt1970 View Post
The bare minimum I would put on there would be a water based epoxy. Latex products just do not hold on walking surfaces. Is oil not available in your area?

The room that I am painting floor in is not heavy traffic, that is simply my only reason I wanted latex, easier cleanup.

However, I do have another paint delimna for you. I have two front rooms that had lead paint from round about 1875-1925. Well, of course, hoping for grandchildren one day, wanted to seal it as much as possible and rolled each room with two coats of oil base primer and have latex paint atop. One room has a semi gloss Benjamin Moore paint and is fine. The other (my bedroom) has flat Benjamin Moore paint and is NOT fine. Let me also mention that there are 8" mud walls for insulation back in the day. Well, my room is cracking and pealing right off.....I am sick and in a delimna of what to do now. I do have charcoal in both, due to humidity.
Old 06-23-2011, 08:05 AM   #7
Too Short? Cut it Again!

Rewards Points: 2,000

Did you use an actual oil based primer with latex over the top or is the primer really an alkyd that you are calling an oil based primer. Hopefully it is an alkyd because you should be able to paint latex over it. Or at least if this has to be redone a superbonding latex primer should stick.

You have two strikes against you. The paint schema you mention is not going to hold up in any sort of traffic area like a bedroom and I fear the greatest source of problems is the humidity and humidity changes getting to the flat lustre of the paint. Even semi would repel moisture somewhat.

I think sanding or scraping the flaking paint off is your only hope. The good news is that it sounds like it will come off fairly easily as it has started already.

I would seriously think about using floor and porch enamel---either latex or oil based---the next go around. It will come with a tough urethane chemistry that will have better adhesion and good UV protection as well. Allow it to cure and apply a compatible clear coat of matte finish if you do not like the gloss level. Let the paint store know ahead of time your ultimate goal as far as the desired sheen.

The paint store may not display all the color options for its floor paints. I have never figured out why. Know that you can get just about any color you want if you give them some lead time.

Last edited by user1007; 06-23-2011 at 08:16 AM.
user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
covering oil based paint, kilz oil based, kilz2