Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-17-2012, 11:28 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 25

Uneven Paint Sheen

Hi

new to this forum. my wife and i bought a house 2 months ago and the DIY projects have begun! i love projects and building things.

this weekend we tackled painting over the previous owners horrible choice of wall color (at least imho). we painted over a white wall with Behr Paint and Primer in a nice light grey/silver. we're not pros but i think we did a good job of rolling it on evenly and left no lines.

when looking at the wall straight on it looks great; nice and even. however, when you look at it at an angle the light reveals uneven areas of shinny-ness (roller brush pattern). its a flat enamel so it has a very slight sheen. why are there uneven areas of shine?

joshik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 11:46 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,968

Uneven Paint Sheen

Since you changing colors I would just go over it with another coat to even it out.

joecaption is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 12:39 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 1,000

Uneven Paint Sheen

how many coats did you put on. if you search this forum for behr you will find a lot of info. did this come from a big box store? were you told that since it is paint and primer in one that you would only need one coat?
DannyT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 02:52 PM   #4

Uneven Paint Sheen

Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyT View Post
how many coats did you put on. if you search this forum for behr you will find a lot of info. did this come from a big box store? were you told that since it is paint and primer in one that you would only need one coat?
ah, i will do a search on behr.

i got it from home depot. would it be better to go to a paint store like vista paint or sherwin williams?

they didnt mention anything about only needing one coat since its a paint and primer in one. we painted last night and with the house lighting it looked "ok". however after looking at it more closely today in the natural light, i can tell it could use another coat. we'll prob do another coat to even things out.

thans!!!
Old 09-17-2012, 03:27 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 2,968

Uneven Paint Sheen

Primer and paint in one is a big lie to get DIY's to think they can by with less work. It just does not work out that way.
joecaption is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 03:29 PM   #6

Uneven Paint Sheen

DOH! i guess i fell for it does the paint and primer in one help at all?

i painted white (paint and primer in one) over a light blue wall and it covered completely with two coats....
Old 09-17-2012, 03:40 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 2,120

Uneven Paint Sheen

Prep is everything when repainting a room. Did you fill holes, dings, and dents with spackle or joint compound? If you did, those spots will look duller than the rest of the wall because spackle/jc absorbs paint more than the other parts of the wall. One coat? Unfortunately no paint I know of covers properly in one coat.......2 is better, with Behr you may have to apply 3. Technique? Did you load that roller sleeve up with plenty of paint? Did you push with lots of effort to squeeze out every last drop of paint with each pass of your roller? If you did, you will get uneven areas. Let the roller do the work, don't push, let the roller glide over the wall to release the paint. Load up regularly and keep a wet edge.
Gymschu is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 03:42 PM   #8

Uneven Paint Sheen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gymschu View Post
Prep is everything when repainting a room. Did you fill holes, dings, and dents with spackle or joint compound? If you did, those spots will look duller than the rest of the wall because spackle/jc absorbs paint more than the other parts of the wall. One coat? Unfortunately no paint I know of covers properly in one coat.......2 is better, with Behr you may have to apply 3. Technique? Did you load that roller sleeve up with plenty of paint? Did you push with lots of effort to squeeze out every last drop of paint with each pass of your roller? If you did, you will get uneven areas. Let the roller do the work, don't push, let the roller glide over the wall to release the paint. Load up regularly and keep a wet edge.
wow! thanks for the info and tips! yeh, i pressed pretty hard. we will do a 2nd coat and let the roller do more of the work this time around!

thanks!