DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

Uneven Paint Sheen

9K views 7 replies 4 participants last post by  joshik 
#1 ·
Hi

new to this forum. my wife and i bought a house 2 months ago and the DIY projects have begun! i love projects and building things.

this weekend we tackled painting over the previous owners horrible choice of wall color (at least imho). we painted over a white wall with Behr Paint and Primer in a nice light grey/silver. we're not pros but i think we did a good job of rolling it on evenly and left no lines.

when looking at the wall straight on it looks great; nice and even. however, when you look at it at an angle the light reveals uneven areas of shinny-ness (roller brush pattern). its a flat enamel so it has a very slight sheen. why are there uneven areas of shine?

#4 ·
ah, i will do a search on behr.

i got it from home depot. would it be better to go to a paint store like vista paint or sherwin williams?

they didnt mention anything about only needing one coat since its a paint and primer in one. we painted last night and with the house lighting it looked "ok". however after looking at it more closely today in the natural light, i can tell it could use another coat. we'll prob do another coat to even things out.

thans!!!

#7 ·
Prep is everything when repainting a room. Did you fill holes, dings, and dents with spackle or joint compound? If you did, those spots will look duller than the rest of the wall because spackle/jc absorbs paint more than the other parts of the wall. One coat? Unfortunately no paint I know of covers properly in one coat.......2 is better, with Behr you may have to apply 3. Technique? Did you load that roller sleeve up with plenty of paint? Did you push with lots of effort to squeeze out every last drop of paint with each pass of your roller? If you did, you will get uneven areas. Let the roller do the work, don't push, let the roller glide over the wall to release the paint. Load up regularly and keep a wet edge.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.