Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-20-2011, 09:49 PM   #1

Share |

Uneven gloss after spraying garage.

I have never sprayed anything up until today.....I used a Graco Magnum airless sprayer with Behr Premium Ultra satin to paint the exterior of my garage. After spraying one of the walls I noticed a few spots that needed to be touched up or sprayed again so I went and hit them again only to find later (4 hours) that those spots had a higher gloss then the other areas I got right the first time. So, I tried to even it all out only to find every additional coat that I added to one section has a higher gloss then the other section. I'm hoping that it just needs to dry over the next day or so, but I really don't know. Maybe I added the multiple coats too fast. Will this even out by itself, or will I just need to go corner to corner in one sweep to get it even? The temperature was 100* today with 30-50% humidity. I've attached a picture of the area I am describing. Any help or advice is greatly appreciated as I still have the whole house to paint after I get this garage done.

Last edited by Austin83; 07-20-2011 at 10:35 PM.
Austin83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2011, 04:14 AM   #2

Is that a swingset on blacktop? Very old school. This country went to hell in a handbasket when we went to kid safe playgrounds.
As to your question, I think you started the project with that irregular sheen pattern, for whatever reason, so it's not so much what you did. It's got a very definite pattern. Was something there that blocked the sun from hitting those areas and draining the sheen from the previous finish? Looks almost identical to the window size and shape. I would give it a couple of days to dry/cure before I did anything else to it. You may need to do a full prime with an exterior underbody to level the sheen. Did you prime at all?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

jsheridan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2011, 04:46 AM   #3
NACE Coating Inspector

this is odd. did you use a spray shield or mask off these areas when you went back for touch-up. i kind of agree that you may have started with an uneven sheen but the pattern is still odd.
mustangmike3789 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2011, 05:22 AM   #4

Thanks for the replies, I did not mask or shield anything, and there was no trees or anything else blocking the sun from that area. I replaced about half the siding on that side of the garage (various areas) and those that were replaced were primered and those boards and the rest were scraped sanded and cleaned. When I got done the first time there were spots that had a higher sheen and those spots were the places I went back to touch up areas about 10 minutes after the initial coat. I then decided to do a light coat to try and even everything out, and I realized that the area I put a light coat on was too light. I then tried a 6 foot by 8 foot section with a little heavier coat and that section had a higher sheen then everything else. An hour later I sprayed two sections on either side of the high sheen area in hopes of it all being even and I got the effect in the photo. What a pain. I'll try something again in a couple of days.

If this doesn't correct itself I could spray a coat of primer on that wall and try it again?
Old 07-21-2011, 05:38 AM   #5
NACE Coating Inspector

you may want to slow down on those re-coat time.
mustangmike3789 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to mustangmike3789 For This Useful Post:
jsheridan (07-21-2011)
Old 07-21-2011, 06:28 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by mustangmike3789 View Post
you may want to slow down on those re-coat time.
I definetly will! I think that is my problem, maybe tomorrow I'll put a single coat on to see if that works.
Old 07-21-2011, 07:29 AM   #7

Building the film increases the gloss level. It may dissipate a bit in time from when it is first applied. If it is warm or humid, this may also affect the product viscosity.
Will22 is offline   Reply With Quote