Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-30-2012, 01:28 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 0
Share |

"Un-painting" my fireplace

I have a painted fireplace (BOO) and today I saw a friend's fireplace was painted but didn't look like it. It basically had white paint but on top was some sort of sponge covering that seemed to be concrete. It actually looked like stone, and I'm trying to find a way to recreate that on my fireplace. Any suggestions? Thanks!

staceybassoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 01:53 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 134

Without a picture of it not sure how anyone can suggest anything.
Google "Faux painting pictures"

joecaption is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 02:01 PM   #3

Sorry, I wasn't thinking. Here's a photo.
Attached Thumbnails
"Un-painting" my fireplace-2012-10-30-10.44.07.jpg  
Old 10-30-2012, 02:13 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 16

Looks like stone to me. I can't imagine anyone painting stone, but, I'm sure it has been done. About all you can do is interrogate your friend to get some info. Maybe she at least knows the technique that was used and the colors so you can attempt to recreate the look. It may take some experimentation and lots of patience.
Gymschu is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 02:14 PM   #5

She doesn't know because it was like that when they bought their house. Our best guess was white paint and cement with a sponge...
Old 10-30-2012, 02:38 PM   #6
Rubbin walls since'79

Thats the faux'ed one, right?
I have done that- used a different technique though.
Basically you need to find the stone look you want and match ( no need for big quantities, qt or less) all the colors involved.
Base coat with the lightest color.

You could apply many ways, or combination of ways. sponge, old beat up brush that you use as a pounce brush, spray, -dream it up.

To make realistic I used a very thinned down wood stain to 'age' the whole thing.
grout can be different too

Here's one I did-started out gloss white!
I used an HVLP- cut out a brick sized hole in a peice of cardboard and hit spots all over with about 4 colors, washed the stain

Need to be artistic and think about what you want it to look like, and play with things to achieve the look.

Last edited by Brushjockey; 10-30-2012 at 02:48 PM.
Brushjockey is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Brushjockey For This Useful Post:
Gymschu (10-30-2012), staceybassoon (10-30-2012)
Old 10-30-2012, 03:01 PM   #7
Too Short? Cut it Again!

I don't have the patience for faux finishes but have seen some beautiful work. BrushJockey's fireplace looks really nice.

As he said, you need to have an idea ahead of time of what you are trying to achieve and it is a good idea to practice on scraps of something before going "live".

Just one other thing to mention. If yours is a wood burning fireplace, it will discolor from smoke and so forth. Be sure to write down what you do for the faux finish along with formulas for the glazes and so forth so you can recreate it all when it is time to touch up.
user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 04:59 PM   #8
paper hanger and painter

Rewards Points: 24

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdsester;1041132[COLOR=red
]I don't have the patience for faux finishes but have seen some beautiful work. BrushJockey's fireplace looks really nice. [/COLOR]

As he said, you need to have an idea ahead of time of what you are trying to achieve and it is a good idea to practice on scraps of something before going "live".

Just one other thing to mention. If yours is a wood burning fireplace, it will discolor from smoke and so forth. Be sure to write down what you do for the faux finish along with formulas for the glazes and so forth so you can recreate it all when it is time to touch up.

I'm with you on both points

chrisn is offline   Reply With Quote