Tung Oil On Luan Door - Painting - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-06-2013, 05:10 PM   #1
In a little over my head

Rewards Points: 520

tung oil on luan door

I am about to hang a new interior door. All the other doors in the house are painted, but I'm thinking of leaving this one wood. I really like using "Tung Oil Finish" on other wood projects. Any thoughts pro/con on using it here? It's hard to test on the door, because there really aren't any "inconspicuous" areas on a door. Stain first?

Advertisement

ratherbefishing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2013, 06:03 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 738

tung oil on luan door

Makes no since to me.
Why not match all the other doors?

Advertisement

Old 12-06-2013, 08:29 PM   #3
K&B Designer

Rewards Points: 250

tung oil on luan door

There's a reason people paint luan. It's ugly. If you want a paint grade door, go buy something worth fussing over with for staining and clear coating.
gregzoll (12-07-2013)
Old 12-07-2013, 12:11 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 254

tung oil on luan door

Wow...

I'm not exactly sure RBF was asking for anyone's approval - and never really asked if it made "since" to anyone else...and I have varnished Luan doors throughout my house and always thought they looked great - but now I'm told they're ugly? hmm...the things we learn on this here chat line.

Personally I'd rather see a varnished, or oiled, Luan door than a painted one - but that's just me. To answer your question, Tung oil would be fine on a Luan door - it'll add a bit of color, but that helps to bring out the natural color of Luan making it a deeper and richer color. If you're considering a straight Tung Oil (as opposed to a tung oil varnish), you're probably looking at 3 - 4 applications to get a good & consistent satin finish. If you're going to stain the door, obviously do that first before oiling - and be careful, Luan takes stain quick and deep, but consistently...If you need a scrap piece to test a stain (or oil) on, you can buy inexpensive Luan panels at any big box and they'll stain exactly as your door will. Good luck to you.
ric knows paint is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ric knows paint For This Useful Post:
ToolSeeker (12-07-2013)
Old 12-07-2013, 10:15 AM   #5
In a little over my head

tung oil on luan door

Thanks, Ric. Buying a small piece of Luan at the local HD sounds like the way to go. I think they might even have 2'x4' pieces in their "hobby" section. Now that I think of it, I bet the millwork shop up the street that made the door has a pile of scraps. I'm off...
Old 01-04-2014, 11:22 AM   #6
In a little over my head

tung oil on luan door

I just realized that I never finished the thread. After a few days of indecision, I decided to try the tung oil. Figured it would be easier to sand the varnish so paint would stick than vice versa, if I changed my mind. Three coats of Behr Scandinavian Tung Oil finish later, the door looks great. The edges are nothing fancy, sort of a varnished fiberboard. But the finish really enhanced the grain and even made it sorta iridecesent in places.

Advertisement

The Following User Says Thank You to ratherbefishing For This Useful Post:
ric knows paint (01-04-2014)