Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-30-2012, 07:45 PM   #1

Share |

Tub Rust Repair

I need to address these rust spots in a painted steel tub- it's actually a baptistery at my little church I attend. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
(for some reason the image doesn't show in "post preview" so if its not in the actual post- I'll work at it)
Attached Thumbnails
Tub Rust Repair-rust.jpg  

Please nominate your favorite project!!

TheEplumber is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 07:58 AM   #2

Tub Rust Repair

You can buy an epoxy kit from Home Depot or Lowe's that includes everything you need. Just follow the directions.

Old 12-31-2012, 08:56 AM   #3

Tub Rust Repair

I would try to sand the rust off down to a sound surface. Sometimes sandpaper does the trick or you may have to use a small multi-tool to gently grind/sand the rust off. Once you get the rust off, you could spot prime those areas with a rust-converting primer or a rust inhibiting primer. Allow that to dry and then touch up with a white metal paint or an all-surface paint that closely matches the white color of the baptistry. This might save you from having to recoat the entire thing with an epoxy.
Gymschu is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Gymschu For This Useful Post:
TheEplumber (12-31-2012)
Old 12-31-2012, 11:48 AM   #4

Tub Rust Repair

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gymschu View Post
I would try to sand the rust off down to a sound surface. Sometimes sandpaper does the trick or you may have to use a small multi-tool to gently grind/sand the rust off. Once you get the rust off, you could spot prime those areas with a rust-converting primer or a rust inhibiting primer. Allow that to dry and then touch up with a white metal paint or an all-surface paint that closely matches the white color of the baptistry. This might save you from having to recoat the entire thing with an epoxy.
That's the general approach I was considering. A half-hardy attempt was made previously by someone else, so it's my turn.
I'll take my small grinder with a wire wheel to it, research some good inhibitors and paint- see what happens.

Please nominate your favorite project!!

TheEplumber is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to TheEplumber For This Useful Post:
Gymschu (12-31-2012)