Trying To Bring Back An Old Deck - Have Some Questions (Sikkens And Deck Cleaners) - Painting - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-20-2012, 12:15 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Trying to bring back an old deck - Have some questions (Sikkens and Deck Cleaners)

Hi All,

I have been reading posts on here, and decided to join since everyone here looks very knowledgable.

Background:
I have deck that is 23x12 that had seen better days. The deck I am figuring is close to 20 years old. The last time it got any TLC what so ever was 7 years ago. I live in the NE, so I saw plenty snow, heat, etc, etc, etc. Being a first time home buyer, I screwed the pooch on it.

This year, I thought it might be dead, so I gave it a power washing. The wood was actually nicer then I thought, so I got myself a nail punch and punched nails for a good 2 days into the deck. Finally I went to Home Depot and rented a belt sander and vibrating stand up sander and went to town. I was able to sand away all of the zebra patterns I had in my deck due to the power washing. In addition I got up all the splinters and such.

So now that the deck is nice and sanded, I still have some grey marks and such from when the splinters came up. So ideally I would like to clean the deck and see what deck brightening will do.

Questions:
1- What is a good all in one deck cleaner and deck brightner I could buy?
I saw that Behr had one, but the label said that it could cause permanent skin damage. Not to sure how safe that is. So would prefer something safer.

Also, I am not against cleaning first then brightening.

2- I was going to use Sikkens Translucent stain with a bit of color in it. However, I went to my local Sikken's dealer (in a benjamin moore shop) and the guy at the store recommended I do not use Sikkens. He told me that they will no longer be carrying Sikkens once it sells out. He explained that due to govt regulation they changed the product. Since the change (last year) the product is not as good and not worth the money any longer.
- Question I have is, is this guy full of it, or did the product actually change and is not the best any longer?
- If it did change, and it is no longer the best, what should I use instead?
- If it is still good, will I be ok with using a translucent stain? I don't want to end up with a grey deck by the winter.

I have been looking at Defy Extreme Stain. Any reason why I shouldn't use that?

Thanks for reading and the help.

Advertisement

Last edited by Alucard77; 06-20-2012 at 03:06 PM.
Alucard77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 09:09 PM   #2
Painting Company, NY

Rewards Points: 540

Trying to bring back an old deck - Have some questions (Sikkens and Deck Cleaners)

You will want to use a deck cleaner that contains sodium per carbonate as its base ingredient. Brighten the deck after cleaning with citralic or oxlic acid. I prefer citralic. Use a nylon brush when cleaning the deck and low pressure with a pressure washer, as to not damage the wood, splinter the wood and for contaminants into the surface.
I know that Sikkens is going into some Home Depots throughout the US. Some vendors of Sikkens will continue to carry it and some will not.
Some of the Sikkens products have changed. We are a Sikkens Certified Contractor and have always had good luck using Sikkens.

Advertisement

housepaintingny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 06:52 AM   #3
Doer of Many Things

Rewards Points: 526

Sikkens did change for VOC regulation, especially if you are in the northern part of America or way out west in California where everything causes massive amounts of cancer for some reason. I would agree that after these changes the products are not as good as they use to be, but that will hold true for all products that fall under these regulations, not just Sikkens. I think the real issue is Sikkens going in Home Depot and the fact that you are dealing with a Ben Moore store. BM has recently decided to coerce it's dealers into jumping on the BM Store bandwagon and has made it against the rules to sell products from other major brands.

Last edited by poppameth; 06-21-2012 at 07:53 PM.
poppameth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 04:05 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 296

Only a couple of product lines in Sikkens (Cetol SRD and Rubbol, waterborne) are sold in Home Depot. Sikkens is still sold in Independent Dealers throughout the U.S. The VOC regulations are dictated by the EPA, and VOC's are not carcinogens (cancer-causing).
Will22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 09:52 PM   #5

This is a real dumb question, but I need to ask it anyway.

Now that I am done sanding, I have a lot of saw dust under the deck. Can this attract termites? Can I just hose it down and call it a day? Should I worry about it at all?
Old 06-22-2012, 06:48 AM   #6
Doer of Many Things

I wouldn't think saw dust would attract termites any more than the deck itself would.
Old 06-22-2012, 08:47 PM   #7

So, I decided to try the Defy stuff. Here's hoping it is good.

Also, I have decided to use a brush to apply this. Am I insane? I figure a good 6 hours will do.
Old 06-23-2012, 11:26 AM   #8
Doer of Many Things

A brush is the best way. You'll get the proper amount of material on the deck and be able to work it in between the boards better. Wooster and a couple of other companies make a deck brush that you can screw the handle out of and put an extension pole in instead. It's more like sweeping it in that brushing it this way so you aren't on your knees all day.
Old 07-17-2012, 02:46 PM   #9

I agree with housepaintingny use a deck cleaner that contains sodium per carbonate as its base ingredient. No Bleach or Chlorine.
organiclife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 02:49 PM   #10

Saw a site: www.live-the-organic-life.com/deck-and-patio-cleaner.html which gives a good example of one. (see above message)

Advertisement

organiclife is offline   Reply With Quote