Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-03-2008, 05:56 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 0
Share |
Question

Trouble putty spots

I was spotting nail holes with painters putty the other day and I kind of got in a hurry and painted the walls before the putty had time to skin over. Now I can see a dark spot everywhere I puttied. I was wondering if more coats on these spots will eventually blend them in or must I dig out all of the putty and start over?

cut-in kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2008, 09:55 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 2

Trouble putty spots

That's no biggie. The oils from the painters putty came through the paint because it didn't get a chance to set up. Hitting them again with paint should do it but let them dry for a couple days if you can.

Matt

Matthewt1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2008, 10:39 PM   #3

Trouble putty spots

Sounds good, thanks Matt
cut-in kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2008, 10:40 PM   #4

Trouble putty spots

Cut-in Kid:

Window glazing putty is nothing more than clay mixed with linseed oil. Linseed oil is a drying oil and that's why putty hardens up once it's exposed to air.

In fact, the "skin" on top of a tub of glazing putty forms exactly the same way as the "skin" on top of a can of oil based paint.

To prevent that skin from forming on your putty, cut a round piece of wax paper and pack it down on your putty to form an impermeable barrier between the air in the tub and the putty. Some people recommend spraying the surface of the putty with WD40, and the reason why that works is because the oil residue left behind on the putty forms an impermeable film between the putty and the air in the tub. The problem is that the oil in WD40 is non-drying, and so it would affect the performance of the putty.

I tried storing oil based paints by blowing some butane from a lighter recharge cylinder into the can before closing it. Butane is heavier than air, so I figured it would prevent that oil based paint skin from forming, but the results weren't reliable. Sometimes it worked, sometimes it didn't. However, to be fair, they weren't reliable using a nitrogen/argon gas mixture from Lee Valley sold for the exact same purpose. Both "worked" some of the time because without anything in the can, it would have skinned over every time.

And, of course, butane gas and or a nitrogen/argon gas mix should work equally well on glazing putty to prevent the top from hardening up.
Nestor_Kelebay is offline   Reply With Quote