Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-05-2012, 04:09 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 75

trouble prepping a mahogany deck for stain

hello,
i'm working on a deck (not mine), and ran into some problems getting it ready for stain. without photos (didn't have a camera) this may be futile, but here we go:
-this is a mahogany deck previously stained with Australian timber oil. after admittedly neglecting the deck, now there is a black color covering most areas.
-pressure washing and treating with a deck cleaner and then a wood brightener, delivered no significant results. the only product that did seem to make some headway was a stripper. unfortunately, it only worked where applied directly. the areas where i brushed it around were mostly unchanged. this product also calls for no contact with, among other things, aluminum (due to corrosion) and much of the trim is wrapped with aluminum.

any ideas?

Thanks.

-nate-

neight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 06:35 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 150

Pressuretel or SunBright supply for deck stripper. HD 80,or RipIt to strip the deck, then neutralize. We tape off the alum trim when we do the jobs. We also spray water on all surrounding plants and cover where necessary Pump up sprayer to apply and keep it wet to work. We have even had to sand entire deck that was done with ATO, it is a problem. Switch to Ready Seal and never go back.

http://www.ptstate.com/index.php

http://www.pressurewashsupplies.com/...ealer-2-1.html

Last edited by CaptRandy; 09-05-2012 at 06:38 PM.
CaptRandy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CaptRandy For This Useful Post:
user1007 (09-05-2012)
Old 09-05-2012, 07:04 PM   #3

thanks for the reply and the links! i was hoping not to have to strip or sand this deck as the same color stain is going back on. what exactly is this discoloration? it's not mold or mildew, to the best of my knowledge. i have worked with mahogany before, but only in the creation phase of decks, not the upkeep. thanks!

-nate-
Old 09-05-2012, 08:21 PM   #4
Too Short? Cut it Again!

Rewards Points: 2,000

I am wondering if somebody snuck some evil Thompson's Water Seal on it at some point? The stuff has been known to grow black mold within it and it is a nasty wax base product making it hard to get off at times.
user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 08:58 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdsester View Post
I am wondering if somebody snuck some evil Thompson's Water Seal on it at some point? The stuff has been known to grow black mold within it and it is a nasty wax base product making it hard to get off at times.

water beads off this, and so does some of the cleaners i used. hmmmmmm.
i also talked to a friend of mine who says this could be natural age after neglect for so long. without pictures it's tough, i know. thanks for the replys!
Old 09-05-2012, 09:59 PM   #6

Neglect is most likely the cause. I get a few calls every year about ATO and problems with it turning black.
Old 09-05-2012, 10:05 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptRandy View Post
Neglect is most likely the cause. I get a few calls every year about ATO and problems with it turning black.
is it specifically with this stain or does it have to do with the wood? this is the first time i've run into this, so please bear with me.
Old 09-06-2012, 03:27 AM   #8

Rewards Points: 10

I've had lots of success with mahogany decks in various stages of neglect and disrepair you have your work cut out for you one deck for example was 10 years old it had never been stained cleaned or maintained in any way it had turned grey from mildew green from mold and black in certain areas the deck was about 3feet off the ground and exposed to the direct sun for about 7 hours a day another deck on the house exposed to sun even longer the front porch which was 2 feet off the ground had very little sun exposure maybe 1 hour 2 other decks on the second floor of the house one in the back with a southern exposure lots of sun one with western exposure little sun couple hours a day where I live on Long Island New York a southern exposure is the longest With water all around long island everything is wet every morning plus underground sprinklers working every day plus flower boxes on all railings separate watering hoses the decks seldom get a chance to dry thoroughly what I did was use wolmans deck strip with bleach mixed with the stripper applied with a deck brush fairly stiff scrubbed and sprayed with water so as not to dry even used a pump sprayer with stripper and bleach mixed together keeping it wet for 10-15 minutes still scrubbing with stiff deck brush then hose off with a good nozzle done 10 x10 area at a time repeating the process until you see a difference then use bleach through pump sprayer after 10-15 minutes hose off then I used wood brightener problem solver by cabots one gallon mixed with water makes 5gallons of finished product use pump sprayer let it stay on deck for 20 minutes and hose off let deck dry for 2. To 3 days then sand with an orbital sander used for floors I rent it from home depot or tool rental place the pads measure 18inches x18 inches if deck was put down with nails the heads must be sunk with nail set if screwed down screw down below surface use 20 grit sand paper first then 36 grit then 80 grit then maybe 150 -180 grit vacuum up dust or use leaf blower to get rid of dust use damp cloth to remove anymore dust your now ready to stain if deck is 2 to 3 feet off ground I use Sikens D E K applied with lamb wool applicator when dry after 24hours apply second coat if deck is not 2 or 3 feet off ground use Sikens S R D apply one coat keeping a wet edge and back brush when needed do not do a second coat of S R D . P.S. I don't know how to post pictures for you to see if you answer this and include an email address I'll send pictures of the decks I've talked about before and after looks like they belong inside house not outside
jerry omara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 09:37 AM   #9

ATO is a problem.
Old 09-06-2012, 08:41 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptRandy View Post
ATO is a problem.
i couldn't agree with you more!

@ jerry...yeah, that's quite a process. we went with a stripper (flood) with some degree of improvement. don't get it on aluminum though, it says may cause damage...it should say will cause damage. now, tomorrow is tons of sanding...and repeating this process on two more decks in the back. we hit up some areas twice and all the stripper did was eat up the wood...didn't even get the black areas out. some areas good, some horrible.
i also found out this is a twenty year old deck with no upkeep. my suggestion was to stain it black. they didn't go for it.
Old 09-07-2012, 11:40 AM   #11

Rewards Points: 1,052

You would be surprised how quick you can do that entire deck with a palm sander and some 36 or 40 grit.

Tags
preparing for stain, staining mahogany