Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-20-2008, 05:27 PM   #1

Share |

Trouble matching texture

I am trying to fix a small hole in a dry wall wall. I spackled it and then sanded and it looked great, the hole was beautifully filled. The problem is the existing paint on the wall has a very obvious texture from a roller. I got a small 3" roller and painted the area but when it dried it still didn't have close to the same size "bumps" that are in the existing paint. I went to the hardware store and they guy gave me some spray on primer and said that would help. After spraying on the primer, waiting, and rolling on paint again - the result was the same- a much "flatter" look than the rest of the wall. I then tried to, with the roller, "blot" the area rather than actually roll it. That seemed to work a little bit better, but still not the desired texture. Can anyone recommend a way to get this pourous/bumpy texture?

Thanks!

Dave

daviddoria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2008, 05:47 PM   #2
Tired, Cold, and Damp

Trouble matching texture

Well Dave, it's kind of hard to tell what you've got from here
I'm not sure if that's normal "stipple" (bumps) from previous paint rollers, or an actual texture that was painted
The way you worded it makes me think it's roller stipple, and your patch simply doesn't have enough, or big enough, stipple

Easier to do with newer construction/remodels, as there's less paint already on the walls
Harder to do with older walls, with much more stipple
The best thing is to get a nice thick "nap" roller (1/2") and "spot paint" the repair area a few times
If it's roller stipple, and not a texture, this will help add some stipple and by the time you roll the whole wall, the repair areas will hopefully blend in better with the rest of the wall

slickshift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2008, 06:02 PM   #3

Trouble matching texture

they key is I'd like not to roll the whole wall

I agree, i'd bet 5 bucks that is not an intentional texture, but rather just stipple from a thick nap. The small one I was using was 3/8" - is there really that much texture difference when you move to a 1/2" ?
daviddoria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2008, 07:08 PM   #4
Tired, Cold, and Damp

Trouble matching texture

There's not supposed to be
With good leveling paints there isn't
But we don't really know what was used before (well...I assume we don't), and basically you are trying to "stack the deck" in your favor
It might make just enough of a difference after 2 or 3 spot rolls that the repair areas (flats) are not quite so noticeable
Know what I mean?
slickshift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2008, 07:39 PM   #5
Drywall and Painting Pro

Trouble matching texture

Thin out a little joint compound with water. To the consistency of yogurt. Then, stir it in to some of your primer. Then roll just the repaired area feathering ( finishing the pass off lightely). Let dry, then prime and paint.
Sir MixAlot is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2008, 11:31 PM   #6

Trouble matching texture

Daviddoria:

If this is normal paint roller stipple, and not a true wall texture, then I get that problem all the time when repairing nail holes in walls.

The solution is to roll three coats of primer on with a 3 inch 3/8" or 10 mm nap roller to re-establish that same stipple before painting it.

Just wrap your roller sleeve and frame tightly in a plastic bag to keep it from drying out between coats. Similarily, slide your painting tray into a plastic bag and keep it in your fridge between coats to prevent the paint from drying out. Allow about 3 hours drying time between coats, but more if this is an exterior wall on a cold day or on particularily humid days.

Putting on multiple coats of primer before painting really does go a long way toward restoring the stipple, thereby making for a much more invisible repair.

Last edited by Nestor_Kelebay; 06-21-2008 at 11:34 PM.
Nestor_Kelebay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2008, 11:52 AM   #7
Drywall and Painting Pro

Trouble matching texture

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nestor_Kelebay View Post
Daviddoria:
Putting on multiple coats of primer before painting really does go a long way toward restoring the stipple, thereby making for a much more invisible repair.
Good advice. Also keep in mind the more you roll over the exisiting texture your are creating build up on that. So try and keep your priming @ a minimum on the existing texture.

Sir MixAlot is online now   Reply With Quote