Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-23-2012, 11:45 AM   #1

Share |

Trims, Floors, Baseboards and Bondo...

I'm remodeling a Victorian that has been fairly abused. I'm fixing all the baseboards, trims, floors, etc.

I want to follow the old fashion way of having the circulation rooms with dark trims and the interior rooms in matte white trims.

The issue is that I don't know what product to paint over bondo (after sanding) to make it look like dark wood.

Is there a paint product that looks like wood and can paint over bondo and wood and has a decent, natural finish?

I thought of staining the filling before, but unfortunately my contractors have started with the bondo as is.

The HD paint people recommended glaze + paint... but I don't think that will cover up the bondo?

I also thought of Behr's deck/fence stain, the opaque one that is not see-through, but picks ups the wood veins.

Any ideas???

Thanks a lot!

dolbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 12:59 PM   #2
Too Short? Cut it Again!

You will have to experiment to get the look you want but gel stains should do the trick. Minwax makes nice ones as do other companies. They are like a solid stain you can brush, wipe, sponge or whatever. You will want to follow with a coat or two of poly. There are probably videos on you tube. There is one on the Minwax site showing how to accent a finished floor with a dark color stain to simulate wood inlay.

Another option would be to use a gel stain and a wood graining tool. Your project can turn fi fi foo foo faux faux in a hurry though so be careful. The one shown here is the type you should aim to find. It has different surfaces to simulate different grain types, end grain, etc.

Good luck. I worked mainly on antique homes. Advice from experience? Pick an off white like Atrium White for painted trim to go with wood floors and most wall colors. Bright White is just too stark, looks dirty if you touch it and makes color on the walls look muddy. IMO.

Would you buy fresh seafood from a guy with a roadside pickup truck stand having Oklahoma plates? Even more absurd is the idea of buying paint at a box store. Go to a real paint store where somebody might actually have some real knowledge of paint. And decent products.

Last edited by user1007; 02-23-2012 at 01:12 PM. Reason: Added Image URL
user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to user1007 For This Useful Post:
dolbo (02-23-2012)
Old 02-23-2012, 04:30 PM   #3
paper hanger and painter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdsester View Post
You will have to experiment to get the look you want but gel stains should do the trick. Minwax makes nice ones as do other companies. They are like a solid stain you can brush, wipe, sponge or whatever. You will want to follow with a coat or two of poly. There are probably videos on you tube. There is one on the Minwax site showing how to accent a finished floor with a dark color stain to simulate wood inlay.

Another option would be to use a gel stain and a wood graining tool. Your project can turn fi fi foo foo faux faux in a hurry though so be careful. The one shown here is the type you should aim to find. It has different surfaces to simulate different grain types, end grain, etc.

Good luck. I worked mainly on antique homes. Advice from experience? Pick an off white like Atrium White for painted trim to go with wood floors and most wall colors. Bright White is just too stark, looks dirty if you touch it and makes color on the walls look muddy. IMO.

Would you buy fresh seafood from a guy with a roadside pickup truck stand having Oklahoma plates? Even more absurd is the idea of buying paint at a box store. Go to a real paint store where somebody might actually have some real knowledge of paint. And decent products.

question, will any of this work over Bondo?
chrisn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 06:11 AM   #4
Too Short? Cut it Again!

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisn View Post
question, will any of this work over Bondo?
I honestly do not know but have used it on other solid materials like epoxies. How well it will adhere and for how long would be my concern.

It's too bad they used Bondo for this.
Old 02-24-2012, 05:22 PM   #5
paper hanger and painter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdsester View Post
I honestly do not know but have used it on other solid materials like epoxies. How well it will adhere and for how long would be my concern.

It's too bad they used Bondo for this.

That was my thought also
Old 02-24-2012, 05:37 PM   #6

Waht would be the right product? Also can you tint it to simplify the cover up afterwards?

Cheers!
Old 02-24-2012, 05:38 PM   #7

Thanks so much for the input, BTW!
Old 02-24-2012, 06:12 PM   #8

Any reason why you did not just replace the wood? A lot faster and would have come out perfect.
joecaption is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 06:19 PM   #9

Trying to keep the original trims and ornaments, 16" baseboards, window trims, etc. But they have been abused and neglected over 130 yrs!
Old 02-24-2012, 07:01 PM   #10
Too Short? Cut it Again!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dolbo View Post
Waht would be the right product? Also can you tint it to simplify the cover up afterwards?

Cheers!
Epoxy wood restoration products, like those from Abatron, can be tinted and worked like wood. They can be painted and stained. Other wood fillers and putties often come in basic stain colors. I don't think there is any way to tint bondo.

http://www.abatron.com/building-and-....html?vmcchk=1

Used to use the Abatron wood restoration products restoring sailboats. Great to work with. A bit pricey though. If you find other products, make sure you check expiration dates. Outdated epoxy or other resins may not cure if they are past the expiration date. And of course never mix more of the two part epoxy systems than you can use within the set-up time.

Glad you are keeping the woodwork! I was working on a early 1900s restoration with lots of old trim like yours. When I gutted everything, I took it off, marked it carefully and was going to repair and reinstall it. Owner ran out of money and the new owners trash binned it!!!! They replaced it, believe it or not, with narrow, glue-on foam baseboards. They through away 100 year old antique cypress/cedar siding that had been stripped and primed too. Replaced it with vinyl. Historical people went crazy! Too late though.

Last edited by user1007; 02-24-2012 at 07:03 PM.
Old 02-24-2012, 07:12 PM   #11
Rubbin walls since'79

That right there is a heartbreaker. Material like that will never again be seen on the face of the earth.
Fact.
Old 02-25-2012, 05:02 AM   #12
paper hanger and painter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brushjockey View Post
That right there is a heartbreaker. Material like that will never again be seen on the face of the earth.
Fact.
You got that right

Tags
bondo, dark, etc., stain, wood