DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

Trim work questions

923 views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  spraygunn 
#1 ·
So, I just replaced the floor in our new (old) house. We replaced the kitchen, dining room, entry way, and hallway. It was tile and I replaced it with laminate. For the base, the previous owners simply used 4" of the same tile they used on the floor.

The doors are solid oak with oak casing and jambs. The cabinets in the kitchen are a dark cherry and the laminate I put down is a darker tone as well.

Having said all that, I need to put up new base and I am unsure as to what route I should take. My first problem is that I need a 4" base to cover up the mess from their tile situation. The second problem I have is I am not sure if I go with a mdf and paint it white (or some other light color), or buy some oak to match the doors and casing that is already there. My problem with the oak route is that I feel that there is a lot of wood varieties going on in this area of my house and I don't know if it would just be too much. While I like the idea of the MDF route in the kitchen (I think it would look awesome with the cherry cabinets), it will be difficult when I get to the doors. I would have to take down the oak casing and replace it with the mdf in which case, the jambs would still be oak, unless I go through the pain of replacing them with mdf as well.

Does anyone have any tips or ideas on how I should approach this? If pictures would help, I could certainly snap a few. Thanks in advance!

Sean

See less See more
#3 · (Edited)
Hey Shpadoinkleday,

One of the most dramatic rooms I ever did was a new home that had pickled kitchen cabinets, our woodwork was a light chestnut and a walnut stain on the hardwood floor. To think that three different stains in one room look beautiful was an understatement. How you blend the colors brings it all together. The MDF will bring it’s own statement to the room, however if you’re thinking of white then I would mellow it down with a little (very little, only a shadow of) warmth of the trim family color. You might also use the same color of the MDF on your ceiling.
Same color, not same paint.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.