Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-31-2010, 06:33 PM   #1

Share |

Trim, stairwell and textured ceiling

I've never really painted a house (or even really a room) and frankly I'm the tool expert in our house (I do silver smithing) not my husband. We have finally (after 20 years) that we're probably staying here for a while and should paint our white walls. They were done once before about 15 years ago when we slapped a little paint on but didn't know what we were doing. The color didn't change so we didn't worry too much.

Now, we're looking at actual colors. I've been reading all over the internet and found some conflicting and confusing information.

1. Textured ceiling in dining room. There's an archway between the living room and dining room and textured ceiling in the dining room. It doesn't really bother me that they are different and it's not so old as to worry about asbestos. But how do I paint it? Since I really don't want to rent a sprayer (it's a small room), I think I get rollers with really deep nap and roll it gently. There is a water stain and I use a spray sealer on that first. Do I still cut in the edges with a brush in the normal fashion? Edges then middle?

2. High stairwell going from the living room up to the second floor with virtually no landing space. How do we do this? Ladder on stairs seems like a potentially disastrous combination, but maybe not. I've been pretty meticulous about going around with spackle on the lower areas, do I really need to be as particular on an area that is 5 or 6 or more feet above people's heads?

3. Speaking of spackle... one site said that if you just paint over where you've spackled it will show through the paint differently in those areas. Do I need to do that? Really? I was under the impression that since the walls had been painted before I don't have to prime.

4. Last (for now) The trim and wood work around the base, windows, arches, etc... I think it was painted glossier than everything else, but I have no idea what it was. I do want to prep it so that this painting job works though. Sand it? Someone mentioned a special primer to bridge the possibly different paint types?

I'm sure I'll have more questions, but that's a good start.

Thanks
Rina
Reignwater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2010, 12:57 PM   #2

Trim, stairwell and textured ceiling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reignwater View Post
I've never really painted a house (or even really a room) and frankly I'm the tool expert in our house (I do silver smithing) not my husband. We have finally (after 20 years) that we're probably staying here for a while and should paint our white walls. They were done once before about 15 years ago when we slapped a little paint on but didn't know what we were doing. The color didn't change so we didn't worry too much.

Now, we're looking at actual colors. I've been reading all over the internet and found some conflicting and confusing information.

1. Textured ceiling in dining room. There's an archway between the living room and dining room and textured ceiling in the dining room. It doesn't really bother me that they are different and it's not so old as to worry about asbestos. But how do I paint it? Since I really don't want to rent a sprayer (it's a small room), I think I get rollers with really deep nap and roll it gently. There is a water stain and I use a spray sealer on that first. Do I still cut in the edges with a brush in the normal fashion? Edges then middle?

2. High stairwell going from the living room up to the second floor with virtually no landing space. How do we do this? Ladder on stairs seems like a potentially disastrous combination, but maybe not. I've been pretty meticulous about going around with spackle on the lower areas, do I really need to be as particular on an area that is 5 or 6 or more feet above people's heads?

3. Speaking of spackle... one site said that if you just paint over where you've spackled it will show through the paint differently in those areas. Do I need to do that? Really? I was under the impression that since the walls had been painted before I don't have to prime.

4. Last (for now) The trim and wood work around the base, windows, arches, etc... I think it was painted glossier than everything else, but I have no idea what it was. I do want to prep it so that this painting job works though. Sand it? Someone mentioned a special primer to bridge the possibly different paint types?

I'm sure I'll have more questions, but that's a good start.

Thanks
Rina
I have a solution for 1 of your problems. namely the high stairwell area in need of painting. Richard Tools makes a paintbrush that can be screwed onto a telescoping pole called the Gooseneck Flexible paintbrush. you can bend the handle to any angle thus eliminating the need for a risky ladder setup. if you use that in conjunction with a roller on a pole the hard to reach area should become a little more accessible.

http://arichard.com/ui/s_public/en/home.aspx
Art44 is offline   Reply With Quote