Trim Paint On The Wall? - Painting - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-18-2013, 08:22 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

trim paint on the wall?

The painter covered the wall paint with a line of trim paint (white) at the edge where trim meets wall. Not a straight line , width varies up to 1/4 inch give or take. I think it looks sloppy; there should be a straight line, no trim paint on the wall nor wall paint on the trim.

painter says that's how its supposed to be.

Contractor is a friend of ours, she says its how its done in all the new houses. They all have a wavy line of trim paint covering the wall paint.

I find this hard to believe. Am I nuts?

Advertisement

dustycrockett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 08:38 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 712

trim paint on the wall?

Your not nuts and there full of BS. Just excuses for a sloppy paint job.
Please post a picture for our entertainment.

Advertisement

CENTERLINE MV (06-18-2013)
Old 06-18-2013, 08:40 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 500

trim paint on the wall?

Textured walls? That can make a strait line harder.
Could be they sprayed the walls, them cut the trim in to them, and didn't do a very sharp job.
I don't see what difference it makes to the quality of the paint job that the house is new...except the obvious one that the paint budgets for new houses are often small.
It is true that paint jobs on new houses are often not great. Depends on what you paid for v/s what you get I guess.

Sometimes guys will run a bead of caulk around the trim to sharpen the line up. There is custom color caulk that wall paint can be added to to make the exact wall color. It doesn't look like a perfectly painted line, but can be an improvement.
Jmayspaint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 08:43 PM   #4
Rubbin walls since'79

Rewards Points: 2,000

trim paint on the wall?

I finish trim first , and either cut in or tape off ( base) to finish walls after- and that makes the clean line.
Gymschu (06-18-2013), ToolSeeker (06-19-2013), user1007 (06-19-2013)
Old 06-18-2013, 09:29 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 2,304

trim paint on the wall?

Obviously that is not a professional job. That being said, if it's rushed new construction and your painter friend is under the gun with the GC to get the painting done, well, that's kinda what happens.......it shouldn't happen, but, in the rush to get it done.......it does.
Gymschu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 09:32 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 2,304

trim paint on the wall?

http://zandiconstruction.com/painting.php

Walls against trim should look like that^^^^^^

Last edited by Gymschu; 06-18-2013 at 09:35 PM.
Gymschu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 09:51 PM   #7

trim paint on the wall?

Thanks, that's what I was thinking. Couple images below...if I'd wanted it to look like this, I could have done it myself. The GC has a lot of years working for a new home builder (and not cheap homes either), and the paint crew as well. My observation, they throw a lot of unskilled workers at it then go back and putty & caulk everything. I wasn't expecting that.

He's coming back tomorrow to redo it. I just hope he's capable.

I asked the painter point blank if he's proud of this work...looked me right in the eye and said yes.

Old 06-18-2013, 09:58 PM   #8

Rewards Points: 500

trim paint on the wall?

Yea, that's just poor brush work. A skilled brush person could straiten that up without too much trouble... Maybe just tape the trim and re-cut the walls. Taping helps with texture.
If can show where its touches up, if the walls don't have a good solid coat on it (or two), or if the exact same paint is not used.
Jmayspaint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 10:28 PM   #9

trim paint on the wall?

Look close again guys at that caulking job. Looks like it was done with a stick.
How you suppose to get a clean paint line with blobs of caulking on the wall?
No way is that job expectable.
ltd (06-19-2013), ToolSeeker (06-19-2013)
Old 06-19-2013, 04:19 AM   #10
paper hanger and painter

Rewards Points: 2,238

trim paint on the wall?

Quote:
Originally Posted by joecaption View Post
Look close again guys at that caulking job. Looks like it was done with a stick.
How you suppose to get a clean paint line with blobs of caulking on the wall?
No way is that job expectable.

Lord help me, Joe is absolutely right!
All that caulk needs to be removed and re done, only way to get a straight paint line there.
chrisn is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to chrisn For This Useful Post:
Gymschu (06-19-2013), ltd (06-19-2013), ToolSeeker (06-19-2013), user1007 (06-19-2013)
Old 06-19-2013, 08:01 AM   #11
Too Short? Cut it Again!

Rewards Points: 2,000

trim paint on the wall?

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisn View Post
Lord help me, Joe is absolutely right!
All that caulk needs to be removed and re done, only way to get a straight paint line there.
And I just bet that is a pure silicone sealant that was applied after the paint. Fatal. Whatever it is, it was added after the paint which is backward.
user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 11:22 PM   #12

trim paint on the wall?

Well they came back and repainted most of the wall/trim edges. Thin I figured out how our miscommunication problem happened.

When the painter (and the GC, in separate conversations) told me that the trim color has to extend on to the wall because of the texture, they were sincere...the texture prevents him from painting a straight line, just like it would me (except of course I would keep at it till I got it right, out of sheer determination). Whereas an actual painter could probly make it look easy. But my friend the GC and her crew have been in the high-volume homebuilding business form so long they don't even know its possible. Its the difference between working for the homeowner who has a stake in the house and gonna live there, and the company who needs it just good enough to sell it, it doesn't make sense to pay for extra skill & experience.

I keep referring to the guy as a painter, but he's really just the boss working the same crew doing the laminate & tile, some structural repairs (very good at both of those), landscaping, and paint.

We'll work something out eventually, once my friend realizes she's in a different business now. Going to be an expensive lesson.

Well that was a bit of a rant......thanks for listening....
Old 06-20-2013, 04:19 AM   #13
paper hanger and painter

Rewards Points: 2,238

trim paint on the wall?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dustycrockett View Post
Well they came back and repainted most of the wall/trim edges. Thin I figured out how our miscommunication problem happened.

When the painter (and the GC, in separate conversations) told me that the trim color has to extend on to the wall because of the texture, they were sincere...the texture prevents him from painting a straight line, just like it would me (except of course I would keep at it till I got it right, out of sheer determination). Whereas an actual painter could probly make it look easy. But my friend the GC and her crew have been in the high-volume homebuilding business form so long they don't even know its possible. Its the difference between working for the homeowner who has a stake in the house and gonna live there, and the company who needs it just good enough to sell it, it doesn't make sense to pay for extra skill & experience.

I keep referring to the guy as a painter, but he's really just the boss working the same crew doing the laminate & tile, some structural repairs (very good at both of those), landscaping, and paint.

We'll work something out eventually, once my friend realizes she's in a different business now. Going to be an expensive lesson.

Well that was a bit of a rant......thanks for listening....

Unfortunately, that is the way it works most of the time
chrisn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 09:06 AM   #14

trim paint on the wall?

Once she does not paid a few times and has to do the job over costing her twice as much for labor she may catch on.
Old 06-20-2013, 07:51 PM   #15

trim paint on the wall?

We still owe a bit,,........

Advertisement