Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-28-2012, 09:38 PM   #1

Share |

Trim paint

I would like you all to comment on which trim paints you prefer and why.

I am nearly done replacing base and shoe and painted it all prior to installation, BM Super Spec. I am thinking I will go ahead and re-paint all the trim. If I go to that much trouble I am wondering if I should get something a little better than the Super Spec. I used Pro Classic on some trim before but it seems like it got tacky too fast, or I should say too fast for me

7echo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 09:41 PM   #2

Trim paint

Pro Classic is a good paint. You could have added a little Flotol and it would have worked even better.

joecaption is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 09:50 PM   #3
Rubbin walls since'79

Trim paint

Dry time is the biggest problem with the new waterbornes. I takes a bit of practice and also sometimes tweeking the paint to get it to work for you.

I haven't used the SuperSpec as a trim paint, but I know there are better. Pro classic is good, BM has Aura Satin that I like and use often, also Advance which is a waterborne alkyd hybrid , Muralo Ultra is one of the most user friendly ones I know of, I'm sure there are others - and regionally there are some smaller co that make excellent products.
Some of them need just a little help- like adding just a touch of latex extender( BM makes one, XIM makes a great one and then my least fav but better than none- Flotrol) and even just a touch of water .
Experiment with a small amount of paint in a cut bucket and a little of these and get a feel for the right combo.
Nobody said this painting thing was easy- thats why I have a job!
Old 02-28-2012, 10:47 PM   #4
Learning Things Every Day

Trim paint

Cheap off-the-shelf Valspar works fine for me. Handles well, covers well.

I have used BM on walls. My next project will most likely have SW on the walls. While I demand that my baseboards look good, I refuse to spend that much money on paint for something as insignificant (for lack of a better term) as baseboards - most of which get covered up, anyway. For applications such as these, I see nothing wrong with using a less expensive paint.

This is, of course, just a personal preference/opinion.
Old 02-28-2012, 10:53 PM   #5
ltd

Trim paint

s/w pro classic water acrylic or pro classic water bourn alkyd are top of the line trim paints,but for your average week end warrior i think these are to finicky. even the pros have to baby sit these paints for runs,and sags . if i was to say what trim paint to recommend a for a diyer i would go s/w super paint semi, or ppg manor hall semi.
ltd is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ltd For This Useful Post:
Gymschu (02-29-2012)
Old 02-29-2012, 07:41 AM   #6

Trim paint

"BM has Aura Satin that I like and use often..."

I have used Aura for walls but not trim. Is Aura satin more like others semi? I want the trim a little more glossy than what I think of as satin.

I guess I should have tried to thin the Pro Classic when I used it before.

"Muralo Ultra is one of the most user friendly ones I know of..." From searching I see Muralo mentioned quite a few times but there isn't a dealer in our area.

What is the BM equivalent to Pro Classic? I have used SW in the past but really prefer to use a local independent store that is a BM dealer.

Thanks for all the comments.
Old 02-29-2012, 07:49 AM   #7
Rubbin walls since'79

Trim paint

It is confusing- SW uses the term satin that is more equivalent to BM's eggshell. Satin to BM is above eggshell, but under a semi.
I have always though that BM oil Satin Impervo was the gold standard of look and sheen, and so I try to find waterbornes that are close to that look.
Aura satin and Advance satin are pretty close. BM also has a waterborne (WB) Satin Impevo- but that was their first one, I think the other two are better.
Old 02-29-2012, 02:12 PM   #8

Trim paint

Interior trim I use Glidden Professional Diamond 450 Latex. Exterior Glidden Professional Fortis 450 latex. Excellent paint.

http://www.gliddenprofessional.com/p...nd_450_No_VOC*

http://www.gliddenprofessional.com/p...ity/Fortis_450
JMDPainting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 04:04 PM   #9

Trim paint

I am going to use BM water based, what do you guys recommend from their line? I see the Impervo mentioned and will look into that one.
Old 03-02-2012, 04:08 PM   #10
paper hanger and painter

Trim paint

Satin Impervo waterborne
Attached Images

chrisn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 10:14 PM   #11

Trim paint

I'll muddy up the water a little more. BM Advance Satin. you could slap that stuff on with a wisk broom and it will turn out smooth. Very nice paint to work with and water cleanup to boot.

Very low odor.
cousindan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 10:23 PM   #12
Rubbin walls since'79

Trim paint

I have turned away from WB SI, I do think Advance or even Aura Satin is better.
Old 03-03-2012, 04:26 AM   #13
paper hanger and painter

Trim paint

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brushjockey View Post
I have turned away from WB SI, I do think Advance or even Aura Satin is better.
Certainly easier to work with.
chrisn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 07:27 AM   #14

Trim paint

I will check out the Advance.

If the Aura is easier to work with I can go that route. Even though the Aura goes off fast, it seemed like when I used it on the walls it blended right back in from the dry cut areas to the fields(if i am saying that right?)

I keep seeing where some of you are using satin for trim. I am usually thinking semi for trim.

Do you prefer the look of the satin for trim, or is the customer specifying it?
Old 03-03-2012, 09:58 AM   #15
Rubbin walls since'79

Trim paint

Different Co's use different terms-
Satin at SW is more like eggshell at BM.
BM's sheens- flat- eggshell, satin, semi, gloss

The satin in BM is pretty much the standard sheen for trim here. Nice softer gloss so it helps not telegraph imperfections, but enough to be hard and cleanable.
Get some of the latex extender for Aura- it does help. I usually use equal xtender and water- which isn't much.