Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-26-2008, 12:37 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10
Smile

Transitioning painted stairs to hallway and trim...HELP

Hi-

We have built a reproduction colonial home and are doing the painting ourselves. I have chosen a dk. green color for the trim in the living room (Great Barrington Green, BM Paint) and have continued it up the stairs with the risers, and balusters (sp?) being painted the same green and the treads and landing being a stained pine. The problem is that once I get to the top of the stairs immediatley to my right is our master bed door. I can't seem to come up with a color that will blend with the dark green to transition into the hallway and match the door, which I wanted to be in the tan family. Any advice? I have scoured my Early American Life mags and the web with no clear vision yet. Oh, and our doors are antique not repos. so they have a real dk wook appearance, but I was thinking of painting them.

Thanks In Advance

naromli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2008, 01:56 PM   #2
Pro Painter

Rewards Points: 250

Looks like you're staying true to the colonial period colors. That's great, as the green goes very well with natural wood. Tan is an obvious choice for the hall and I suspect you'll have a time of it choosing the right tone of tan or beige. An off white in the beige family may work for you. Maybe even something in the yellow family, like ocre, squash or fall leaf line.

This will work with the natural wood, whereas it might not be the best choice if the wood is painted. Is the floor moulding natural too?
Painting the doors throws a variable into the mix, and determining wall color for the hall will be affected by it.

Hope this helps.

joewho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2008, 02:21 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 10

Hi-

Thanks so much. The hallway wall color is a yellow color, but I might end up changing it. The floors are a wide pine. while the doors are a dark color as I have stripped them. My intention was to paint them in the complimentary color of the hallway trim, but I didn't take into the consideration of the stair problem. Also, there is a small wall that is going to have awall mural on it (which I don't think will really affect the color choice).

Many Thanks ~
naromli is offline   Reply With Quote