Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-08-2010, 08:50 PM   #1

Share |

Trailer deck paint

Is there a durable paint (UV Resistant) that could be used on a utility trailer floor? I was going to use an epoxy garage floor covering, but I don't think they are UV resistant. The previous owner of my trailer painted the floor for some reason, and it looks like crap. I was hoping to be able to cover it with something.

pomelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2010, 04:09 AM   #2
Too Short? Cut it Again!

Trailer deck paint

You can get epoxies with UV protection or try a specialty industrial floor finish but is it really worth the cost for a utility trailer? Epoxy finishes are certainly durable but the resins will chip if you drop things on them. Could happen in a utility trailer situation?

Why not just use a paint store, not box store crap, quality urethane reinforced alkyd floor and porch paint and just touch it up every now and then if needed? Your choice of colors. Just prep the surface as no primer goes underneath. Paint store may not have the color you want since many do not stock a lot of the stuff but they can usually get it within a day or so.

http://www.benjaminmoore.com/bmpsweb...paint/prd_c112

Last edited by user1007; 03-09-2010 at 04:18 AM. Reason: Added URL
user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2010, 05:53 AM   #3
DIY staff

Trailer deck paint

SDSESSTER has the method--Trailer decks get scraped and scratched--A high quality deck paint that can be touched up quickly is that I do.

Every fall I give it a light sanding and add one more coat.Cheap and easy. The epoxy will probably scratch up more easily than a deck and porch paint anyway.--Mike--

You didn't tell us what the trailer deck was made of--I assumed that it was wood,

If it is a steel deck I suggest Rust-oleum oil based enamel.--M-

Last edited by oh'mike; 03-09-2010 at 05:58 AM. Reason: To early in the morning-didn't think clearly--
oh'mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2010, 07:49 PM   #4
Painting Company, NY

Trailer deck paint

I would sand, get as much of the old coating off as possible, clean well, then use treadplex primer followed by a top coat of tread plex, you can purchase it at Sherwin Williams.
housepaintingny is offline   Reply With Quote