Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 04-19-2012, 03:26 AM   #16
paper hanger and painter
 
chrisn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Hagerstown MD
Posts: 6,746
Rewards Points: 32
Share |
Default

toxic paint low VOC


Quote:
Originally Posted by jsheridan View Post
I'll say it again, I learned it in college biology, if you can smell it, you're ingesting it. You can't smell carbon monoxide, nor would you smell natural gas if they didn't purposely odorize it to smell. So not being able to smell something doesn't mean it won't hurt or kill you. On your point Mr Paint, cow flatulence is a measurable and significant contributor to "global warming", so they say. I say we need to eat more red meat to end the scourge of cows warming the globe. Vegans and vegetarians are destroying the environment by not eating globe warming cows, and veggies make you very gassy. There are more people than cows. It's a vicious cycle.
So, you're parents spent a half mil for you to learn that?

chrisn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 05:14 AM   #17
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Cape May, NJ
Posts: 2,392
Rewards Points: 0
Default

toxic paint low VOC


I wish. I started college at 31, parents didn't pay a dime. Graduated at 36 with 30g's of debt. That's all I paid to learn that.
jsheridan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 04:44 PM   #18
paper hanger and painter
 
chrisn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Hagerstown MD
Posts: 6,746
Rewards Points: 32
Default

toxic paint low VOC


Quote:
Originally Posted by jsheridan View Post
I wish. I started college at 31, parents didn't pay a dime. Graduated at 36 with 30g's of debt. That's all I paid to learn that.

Wow,I'm impressed!
chrisn is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to chrisn For This Useful Post:
jsheridan (04-19-2012)
Old 04-19-2012, 05:30 PM   #19
Just a DIY guy
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Southern California
Posts: 297
Rewards Points: 0
Default

toxic paint low VOC


Quote:
Originally Posted by sdsester View Post
There are things in the home outgassing or otherwise emitting toxins more than dried paint
you been talkin' to my wife?

M3 Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 05:52 PM   #20
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 33
Rewards Points: 0
Default

toxic paint low VOC


Quote:
Originally Posted by ennyl View Post
Buying a new house and have decided any replacements or paint will be low VOC. All the toxins in products has me somewhat concerned.

Does anyone else share the same concerns?
I definitely share the same concerns! I would definitely go for zero VOC and low-odor especially if anyone in the house has respiratory allergies or birds as pets. Even without them, I would still recommend them.

Think about it. Most folks spend at least half their time at home so half the air you breathe is controlled by what's inside your house. If you work from home or end up doing so later in your career, then you may spend 80% of your time there.

You can always add an air filter like the Aprilaire products to get rid of dust, pollen and everything else but the VOCs you will NOT be able to get rid of and you'll be exposed to them all the time.

Personally, I do NOT trust any company out there. Very few are morally bound - most are profit-driven and will use any chemical as long as there's no law stopping them from doing so.

I think there should be a law requiring healthier paints to be made especially for indoor use and that would also make them more affordable as economies of scale come into play.

As it stands, the zero VOC and low odor paints are ridiculously expensive. Sherwin normally charges $35 for the cheaper HGTV paint and $52 for their Harmony. The HGTV doesn't have primer so you have to pay $40 per gallon for the Harmony. We're fortunate that we have decent jobs BUT we could NEVER afford that at regular price. Benjamin Moore is as expensive. I was lucky that there was a 40% sale at Sherwin and I'm paying $650 for paint and primer for 1,200 sq ft. It would have been $1,000!!!

Last edited by PaintBird; 04-20-2012 at 05:59 PM.
PaintBird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 06:05 PM   #21
Rubbin walls since'79
 
Brushjockey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Mn
Posts: 2,518
Rewards Points: 0
Default

toxic paint low VOC


And I will say it yet again- low VOC means very little about indoor air quality. Read this thread again...
And some paints that claim it are very poor.
Some are not.
__________________
"It's better to come here with questions before you screw up than to come here after and ask how to fix them."- JS
Brushjockey is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Brushjockey For This Useful Post:
Faron79 (04-21-2012)
Old 04-20-2012, 07:12 PM   #22
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: central Florida
Posts: 1,214
Rewards Points: 20
Blog Entries: 5
Default

toxic paint low VOC


Quote:
Originally Posted by PaintBird View Post
I definitely share the same concerns! I would definitely go for zero VOC and low-odor especially if anyone in the house has respiratory allergies or birds as pets. Even without them, I would still recommend them.

Think about it. Most folks spend at least half their time at home so half the air you breathe is controlled by what's inside your house. If you work from home or end up doing so later in your career, then you may spend 80% of your time there.

You can always add an air filter like the Aprilaire products to get rid of dust, pollen and everything else but the VOCs you will NOT be able to get rid of and you'll be exposed to them all the time.

Personally, I do NOT trust any company out there. Very few are morally bound - most are profit-driven and will use any chemical as long as there's no law stopping them from doing so.

I think there should be a law requiring healthier paints to be made especially for indoor use and that would also make them more affordable as economies of scale come into play.

As it stands, the zero VOC and low odor paints are ridiculously expensive. Sherwin normally charges $35 for the cheaper HGTV paint and $52 for their Harmony. The HGTV doesn't have primer so you have to pay $40 per gallon for the Harmony. We're fortunate that we have decent jobs BUT we could NEVER afford that at regular price. Benjamin Moore is as expensive. I was lucky that there was a 40% sale at Sherwin and I'm paying $650 for paint and primer for 1,200 sq ft. It would have been $1,000!!!
Wow. That's a bundle to spend on paint. I'll have about the same s.f. and no way can I afford that.
Startingover is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 07:14 PM   #23
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: central Florida
Posts: 1,214
Rewards Points: 20
Blog Entries: 5
Default

toxic paint low VOC


I used to like that new paint smell and thought it was a clean smell.
Startingover is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 07:25 PM   #24
Rubbin walls since'79
 
Brushjockey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Mn
Posts: 2,518
Rewards Points: 0
Default

toxic paint low VOC


And someone made you think it was poison and would kill you- both psychological more than anything
__________________
"It's better to come here with questions before you screw up than to come here after and ask how to fix them."- JS
Brushjockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 09:28 PM   #25
Member at Large
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Allegan, Michigan
Posts: 19
Rewards Points: 0
Default

toxic paint low VOC


Quote:
Originally Posted by PaintBird View Post
I think there should be a law requiring healthier paints to be made especially for indoor use and that would also make them more affordable as economies of scale come into play.
First they need to pass a law that states people (women) cannot wear that nasty smelling crap they call perfume. And only ### knows what chemicals are used to make it.

And oh by the way you better not breath around that new carpet or those new cabinets or even in your car. Talk about health hazards.

Now go ahead and have a great day.
oldpaintdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 09:42 PM   #26
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 33
Rewards Points: 0
Default

toxic paint low VOC


Quote:
Originally Posted by oldpaintdoc View Post
First they need to pass a law that states people (women) cannot wear that nasty smelling crap they call perfume. And only ### knows what chemicals are used to make it.

And oh by the way you better not breath around that new carpet or those new cabinets or even in your car. Talk about health hazards.

Now go ahead and have a great day.
I actually agree with you about all those things. Does that mean that we should all use cr*p because everyone else does? Is that the argument?
PaintBird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 09:45 PM   #27
Rubbin walls since'79
 
Brushjockey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Mn
Posts: 2,518
Rewards Points: 0
Default

toxic paint low VOC


PB- Use whatever makes you feel good. I'll use what works well.
They very often aren't the same.
__________________
"It's better to come here with questions before you screw up than to come here after and ask how to fix them."- JS
Brushjockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 10:47 PM   #28
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 33
Rewards Points: 0
Default

toxic paint low VOC


Quote:
Originally Posted by Brushjockey View Post
PB- Use whatever makes you feel good. I'll use what works well.
They very often aren't the same.
Hey Brushjockey,

Cool username by the way

I didn't mean for paint. I meant about perfume, cars, cabinets etc. Yes, they also emit all kinds of cr*p but that doesn't mean that laws shouldn't exist to force paint companies to make healthier interior paints because other manufacturers make cr*p.

If we had left it to the industries, we'd all be drinking lead paint daily. I absolutely agree that all materials used in homebuilding should be healthier by law including cabinets, carpets, flooring etc. I'm not saying go overboard but any improvement is good. You don't have to make them organic but require low VOCs and low odor and less hazardous chemical compounds. Economies of scale kick in and that will bring the price down so everyone can afford a better product - not just those that can afford it.

Why shouldn't a lower income family with an asthmatic child be unable to afford good paint? I nearly fainted when the SW guy gave me the price without the discount yesterday... Even with the discount, I had to take a few deep breaths. I went to get a quote for healthier paint and the quote nearly killed me - so yes, to your point it might be more reasonable to use the regular paint.

Last edited by PaintBird; 04-20-2012 at 10:54 PM.
PaintBird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 11:06 PM   #29
Rubbin walls since'79
 
Brushjockey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Mn
Posts: 2,518
Rewards Points: 0
Default

toxic paint low VOC


It takes good science and good materials to make good paint, low voc or not.
Cheaper paints use cheaper materials. And they cost less.
And there is a difference.
I use BM Aura alot, because in certain circumstances it out performs any thing I know of. And it retails for $65 a gal.
BM "Ben" is probably as low VOC as Aura. It is a nice paint and retails for around $35.
Are they they same? No. But maybe similar in VOCs.
__________________
"It's better to come here with questions before you screw up than to come here after and ask how to fix them."- JS
Brushjockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012, 03:33 AM   #30
paper hanger and painter
 
chrisn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Hagerstown MD
Posts: 6,746
Rewards Points: 32
Default

toxic paint low VOC


Quote:
Originally Posted by PaintBird View Post
Hey Brushjockey,

Cool username by the way

I didn't mean for paint. I meant about perfume, cars, cabinets etc. Yes, they also emit all kinds of cr*p but that doesn't mean that laws shouldn't exist to force paint companies to make healthier interior paints because other manufacturers make cr*p.

If we had left it to the industries, we'd all be drinking lead paint daily. I absolutely agree that all materials used in homebuilding should be healthier by law including cabinets, carpets, flooring etc. I'm not saying go overboard but any improvement is good. You don't have to make them organic but require low VOCs and low odor and less hazardous chemical compounds. Economies of scale kick in and that will bring the price down so everyone can afford a better product - not just those that can afford it.

Why shouldn't a lower income family with an asthmatic child be unable to afford good paint? I nearly fainted when the SW guy gave me the price without the discount yesterday... Even with the discount, I had to take a few deep breaths. I went to get a quote for healthier paint and the quote nearly killed me - so yes, to your point it might be more reasonable to use the regular paint.

Boy, just what we need, more government regulations infringing on our rights and TELLING us what we need and what is best for we the people of the US of A

Come on, be real. Do you drive a car? Do you breath the air? Chemicals used in paint should be the least of you're worries. I am not a chemist but after the paint has dried, I do not think the is any more off gassing anyway

Maybe you are from California

chrisn is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to chrisn For This Useful Post:
jsheridan (04-21-2012)
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Quick & Dirty Trim Salvage: Spackle to fill Old Chipped Paint? Lovegasoline Painting 13 09-01-2013 12:53 AM
cheap paint in bathroom got mold? mayhem69 Painting 12 05-06-2012 04:46 PM
latex paint on top of oil-based paint nancy-diy Painting 11 03-07-2010 03:02 AM
So many questions where to start?!?!(NEWBIE) painter84 Painting 5 09-15-2008 12:50 PM
Paint will not stick in Bathroom! SGTHetland Painting 9 08-17-2008 11:04 PM




Top of Page | View New Posts

Copyright © 2003-2014 Escalate Media. All Rights Reserved.