Tough Time Painting Cabinets - Painting - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-09-2011, 11:03 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

tough time painting cabinets

I have some brand new natural maple cabinets. I am doing some testing on a spare door..

Ive sanded the doors with 150grit.. Primed it with some SW Premium Latex wood primer, sanded again.. and applied 2 coats of SW all surface aryrlic enamal ( black color, building a bar in the basement) The paint was applied with a foam roller and I cant seem to get a perfect finish.. Some spots look darker than other, mostly on the center panel of the doors ( shaker door ) and the rails look fine... It seems to me the mini foam roller is not perfectly round and applys a different amount of paint when rolled on..?? Does any of you guys have an idea to get a better looking finish..??

Advertisement

shillins24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2011, 11:37 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,306

Personally, I like slow drying oil based primer for new wood, especially cabinets. This gives the topcoat more 'bite' and better coverage in my opinion. Also, those foam rollers are about worthless. They don't hold as much paint as a Purdy Jumbo mini-roller or a Whizz mini-roller. At this point, since your cabinets are already done, maybe another coat with a better roller is about all you can do.

Advertisement

Gymschu is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2011, 11:55 AM   #3
Rubbin walls since'79

Rewards Points: 2,000

I personally don't like the look of a rolled door, no matter what the roller. _ might apply with a roller and tip off with a brush.
But neither will look like a sprayed finish.
Old 10-09-2011, 01:52 PM   #4
ltd

Rewards Points: 508

foam rollers are useless they really are .i still think you can save the doors .lightly sand then brush them with a 18 dollar purdy nylon polister brush .their is a skill to this but it is better than a foam roller
ltd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2011, 02:16 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 778

Since I am assuming the cabinets are not yet installed I would spray them! Will allow you to get a very smooth even finish. Best bet would be to rent a LPHV sprayer to do the job.
Msradell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2011, 05:34 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 10

The cabinets are not installed yet.. I had a spare door to test on.. I purchased some spray paint today and that seemed to give me a better finish.. Since Im a cabinetry guy and not a painter, do you think as a novice and renting a sprayer I could except a really nice finish..?
shillins24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2011, 05:41 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 512

Quote:
Originally Posted by shillins24 View Post
The cabinets are not installed yet.. I had a spare door to test on.. I purchased some spray paint today and that seemed to give me a better finish.. Since Im a cabinetry guy and not a painter, do you think as a novice and renting a sprayer I could except a really nice finish..?
It can be tough to get a perfect spray finish for the novice - you need a good technique, a good understanding of the machine, and proper conditions in the spray booth. Personally, I would brush S/W pro classic - has great leveling characteristics so it looks like a spray finish. Limited open time however, so you have be quick and precise.
Windows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2011, 05:43 PM   #8
paper hanger and painter

Rewards Points: 2,240

Quote:
Originally Posted by shillins24 View Post
ABSOLUTELY NOT. It takes years to master spraying and cabinets are possibly the hardest of all projects to get right.Take the good advise already given and go with it. Spray cans?

Advertisement

chrisn is offline   Reply With Quote