DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

Touching Up Wood Doors/Trim

2K views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  Matthewt1970 
#1 ·
After 16 years, the wood trim in my house looks pretty scuffed up in places, particularly in my boys' bedrooms. I took matching stain and wiped over the scratches/mars on the trim/doors and that really made an improvement. However, now when the light hits the wood, particularly the doors, I can see the wipe marks where I applied the stain, which is an area larger than the original scratch/mar. It is a dull spot on the sheen of the wood finish, despite the fact that I wiped each spot down with a clean rag after applying the stain.

Any suggestions on how I can easily remove these spots?

#2 ·
There is a cleaner/polish/ scratch remover that works pretty well that I have used. It's called Aulwood, some hdwre stores might carry it- some paint stores around here do.
Easy to use- wipe on- do whole woodwork.
be careful of rags- they are self combustable-

#3 ·
There is a cleaner/polish/ scratch remover that works pretty well that I have used. It's called Aulwood, some hdwre stores might carry it- some paint stores around here do.
Easy to use- wipe on- do whole woodwork.
be careful of rags- they are self combustable-
That is a good point that should be mentioned on this forum. We did some oil stain on some windows this summer and one of the guy we were working with never heard of rags heating up. I took a well used rag and wadded it up and left it for a good 5 hours. I then handed to him and he was an instant believer. The rag was easily 150 degrees.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.