Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-17-2012, 03:46 PM   #1

Share |

Touching-up Painted Cabinets

I have off-white cabinets that are showing a little wear and I'm ready to touch-up the areas that need a little TLC. The previous home owner was nice enough to leave behind the old paint can and tint ratio's. So, I was able to get the same brand and color scheme (Devflex HP semi-gloss 4216-001L).

The plan is to clean the cabinets well, sand any the areas that have the paint chips (a light sand just to remove the hard edge of the chipped area), and start painting. I am planning to remove the doors (a few at a time) and paint them in my garage while they are laying flat. I will be using a brush that the paint store recommended for this paint.

Are there any tips or things that I should know about before I start this process? Should I worry about temperature when using this paint? Here in California, my temperatures range from 55 degrees at night to 90 degrees during the day. Its also pretty dry here, so there isn't much humidity.

loftezy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 04:46 PM   #2
Rubbin walls since'79

Sounds like you are on the right track. And it also sounds like you aren't touching up- but doing a full coat on the doors? This is the best way to go, it is difficult to make spot touch ups not show.

Old 09-17-2012, 05:15 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brushjockey View Post
Sounds like you are on the right track. And it also sounds like you aren't touching up- but doing a full coat on the doors? This is the best way to go, it is difficult to make spot touch ups not show.
Yes, I will be painting the whole door. I wanted to just paint the small areas that needed it, but the paint store assistant said that it would be nearly impossible to match the two colors exactly. He also said that the age of the original paint and its wear also make a difference in the color.

I'll start by practicing on some spare wood. I want to make sure that the brush strokes won't be too pronounced before I start on the cabinets.
Old 09-17-2012, 10:09 PM   #4

almost sounds like you went to a real paint store
DannyT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 05:18 AM   #5
paper hanger and painter

Maybe spot pime the bare spots after sanding.
chrisn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 10:58 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyT View Post
almost sounds like you went to a real paint store
You nailed it!