Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-31-2012, 08:19 PM   #1

Share |

Touching up newly painted walls

Hello! New member here, looking for some help here with a project I started recently.

I am currently painting our living room. This has been put off for some time because it's the biggest paint job I have attempted. I am making good progress, but ran into an issue. I am painting over white walls using a brownish colored flat latex. Behr ultra paint/primer.

Everything went pretty well so far, and It looked like it was going to cover in one coat to my surprise. However there are a few spots that the white shows through. It's like little dots, randomly here and there. What is the best way to touch these areas up without repainting the whole room? Can I use a small roller or just dab them with a paintbrush?

There are also a couple areas on the wall that I had to fix. So these areas had unsealed joint compound on them and now with the right light you can still see them. I realize now that I should have primed them, but is there anything I can do to make them stand out less?

I'm not totally against repainting the room, it just that I am not the most skilled painter...by a long shot, and would like to just touch up these areas if at all possible. It is a vaulted room, ceiling is 16'6" one wall and slopes down to about 12 feet other side. So for me this was pretty daunting hopping up and down the latter to cut in, and my extension for the roller could have been a little longer. Had to stand on toes just to reach the highest point on one wall.

Used flat paint to try and hide my amateur lack of skills, and like I said it turned out pretty nice. But to repaint everything is going to be another 5 gallons which I'll do if necessary, but would like to put the 200 bucks towards some nice wall hangings or something.

Thanks for any help!

Chris
bandook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 08:23 PM   #2
Rubbin walls since'79

Most of us who do this for a living know going in 2 coats is the best . Now you do.
Old 10-31-2012, 08:35 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brushjockey View Post
Most of us who do this for a living know going in 2 coats is the best . Now you do.
Yeah And that's ok if I have to. Was just feeling out for any pro tips to see if I can do something that will look good enough. It's really very few spots. There may be more up high, but you can't seem from the floor so I'm not worried about that.

I guess basically I want just a couple pointers on what I could do, so I can avoid doing something that I shouldn't. Since it's flat paint, it does seem to hide a lot more. I know like if it has any gloss, you don't want to brush on new paint in spots, or it looks pretty bad. Learned that one in the kitchen. Rather try to fix the little spots because my walls aren't going anywhere and I can repaint anytime.

Thanks.
Old 10-31-2012, 08:55 PM   #4
Rubbin walls since'79

you could try using the roller on the spots and feathering it out. But it also might show a more complete coverage. The light will be the deciding factor.

But if a pro who has rolled thousands of walls figures 2, why wouldn't he also consider the shortcut? Something to think about.
But you don't have a paying customer- so good enough might be good enough for you. i don't have that luxury.

Last edited by Brushjockey; 10-31-2012 at 08:57 PM.
Brushjockey is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Brushjockey For This Useful Post:
ToolSeeker (11-02-2012), user1007 (10-31-2012)
Old 10-31-2012, 09:15 PM   #5
Too Short? Cut it Again!

As I have mentioned in these posts before, covering in one coat is something only DIYers seek to achieve. DIYers want to believe primer and paint comes in the same can too. Marketing departments will hype whatever the consumer wants and bury the truth in fine print.

Painters know you need two coats to develop a film thickness that has a fighting chance of resisting fading, establishing a consistent sheen over the wall or ceiling, remaining colorfast, and delivering some degree of washability (although good luck with that and Behr).

You should bite the bullet and put on two coats like we do for our clients. I know this is not what you want to hear but there is a reason we have done it this way for eternity.

Otherwise and if "good enough for mil spec" is good enough for you? As suggested try going over the white pinholes but the process will probably make the part of the walls that did not get a full second coat look anemic.
user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 10:04 PM   #6

What I was wanting to hear was the truth. And I guess I can glean from your posts some truth. But I had to wade through your disappointment and frustration that must come from giving advice to ignorant diy'ers like me. Lol, I mean seriously, you both sound a bit bothered by my questions. I mean I do want it to look good. If I wanted a professional job, I would have hired a professional. I did get a quote, and it was a fair quote (from a pro painter friend) but I thought hell, I can do this and put the money saved in the kids college fund or something. This is a diy forum afterall, but you come off annoyed by my noobish inquiring.

I'm sure it must bother you to see inexperienced folks like me attempt to do things that you pros would never do, but then why are you on a diy forum? To help? Sorry, but you don't come across like you are interested in helping. I just came across this forum and thought I would see what it's all about. First impressions are unimpressive.

I'm an active member of other forums but only those who know how to make a newcomer feel welcome. Just fyi, that's how a community grows. As it is, I probably won't be back. No loss to you, i'm sure.
Old 11-01-2012, 04:12 AM   #7
paper hanger and painter

If "good enough" for you is OK, then just touch up with the same cover you used to apply the inferior paint. We are here to help and advise and that is what you got. 2 coats is the standard for any job no matter what brand of paint. If you do not like the responses that you asked for, why are you b****ing about it?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
chrisn is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to chrisn For This Useful Post:
Gymschu (11-01-2012), user1007 (11-01-2012)
Old 11-01-2012, 06:09 AM   #8
Rubbin walls since'79

You got the straight up, unvarnished truth. Sorry if we didn't have any miracles for you. What is the correct way to do something is EXACTLY the same whether this is your first paint job or hundredth. The difference is you have some skills and know what to expect.
That is what was passed on.
user1007 (11-01-2012)
Old 11-01-2012, 07:50 AM   #9
ltd

sorry , not to pile on , you may think it looks ok but when you get 2 coats of paint youl see the difference .. it is what it is 2 coats is standard.
ltd is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ltd For This Useful Post:
user1007 (11-01-2012)
Old 11-01-2012, 07:52 AM   #10

Personally, I think "Bandook" is yet another "Behr paint troll". My apologies if this is not the case, but, we seem to be getting a lot of these, "I used Behr paint from Home Depot, it didin't work like they said it would, now what do I do" posts.

By the way, the little dots are places you missed with your roller, and, again, I will add to the conversation, these would be covered up by the 2nd coat. In this case why not do it right and apply the 2nd coat? What will it cost you? Nothing for labor and maybe another gallon of $19.99 Behr paint? For $20 I would do the 2nd coat and you will have a decent paint job that is now properly done with 2 coats.
Gymschu is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Gymschu For This Useful Post:
ltd (11-01-2012), user1007 (11-01-2012)
Old 11-01-2012, 07:56 AM   #11
Too Short? Cut it Again!

I read all the posts again and did not see anything that should make you at all upset. Sometimes DIYers visit this site hoping to get affirmation for something they are set on being told is alright and acceptable and do get angered when they do not get it.

I am also confused since you suggested if you needed two coats, this was acceptable to you. Why are you in such a "state" when we said, yup this is was you need? The only thing you did not get in answer to your post were suggestions on how pros would make your 1.25 coats scheme look good enough. I hope none do that kind of work. I think you will be a lot more proud of the job you did painting if you put on the second coat. It is the way to do this right.

I most certainly hope you do not leave this forum because the answers you got were good advice but not what you wanted. That reaction will not serve your future projects on this or any other site well.
The Following User Says Thank You to user1007 For This Useful Post:
ltd (11-01-2012)
Old 11-01-2012, 10:53 AM   #12

Bandook,
In order to achieve darker colors, manufacturers have to take out hiding pigment (Ti02) from their formula, The base now will take more colorant but, will have decreased hiding ability. Two coats are a must when painting with rich colors. I dare say by the time you finish mulling it over, you would have it finished by now and hanging your pictures back up.
Mr. Paint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 08:33 PM   #13

Wow 10 painters on here tell you 2nd coat and your offended. What answer did you expect, stand back and throw paint at it and it would be good enough? And what Behr paint did you pay $200 a bucket for?
ToolSeeker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 09:03 PM   #14
Too Short? Cut it Again!

I hate to admit it but I think Gym spotted another troll.

If I were still doing PR and stuck with an account like HD and its paint perception problem? I would be paying agency interns an junior account executives to do nothing but scour sites like this and post or try to lean other comments positively.

Again, if you want to experience the depth of the problem from a PR standpoint go to Consumer Reports and plow through the comments on Behr paint. The honest ones are easy to spot and even the carefully scripted ones are noticeable to me.

Of course HD and Behr don't use their position as tops in CR accounts because Benjamin Moore now owns top slots. And Behr never had a chance in actual paint industry coatings ratings. They do not even make the list.

Of course the brands we suggest consumers buy for the same price point are on the lists.
The Following User Says Thank You to user1007 For This Useful Post:
Mr. Paint (11-05-2012)