DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

Touching Up Builder's Grade Paint - HELP!!

14K views 8 replies 7 participants last post by  joenusz 
#1 ·
I rent a fairly new duplex and I'm moving out soon. I noticed the builder's grade paint scuffs REALLY easily so I used a Magic Eraser to get rid of the marks. The problem is, there are spots where the paint was so thin, it came right off. How do I touch it up? There are hundreds of different whites to choose from let alone different finishes. Do I ask for "Builder's grade" paint? Is there such a thing or is it all about the poor application?? Help!!!!!

#6 · (Edited)
That's going to probably lead you nowhere.

Your best bet would be to paint everything, but if that is not part of your plan, I would go to the place you are going to purchase the paint from and bring them a sample( maybe even a piece of the drywall), or ask for a fandeck to take and match it up at your house.

And as far as paint goes, you can head to one of the seemingly dreaded 'Big Box' stores and find a lower quality paint for around $10-$15 per gallon, which is perfect for the project you are working on.

Hope I could help and, Good luck!

#5 ·
Unless your landlord is a complete jerk or very inexperienced, he already expects to paint the house after you move out, and shouldn't charge you for minor scuffs, scrubbed spots, etc. Wall damage, yes; scuffed paint, no. There is a reason the house had such cheap paint to begin with... apartments and duplexes are the sole reason watery stuff like SW ProMar 700 even exists; it is made precisely for this use.

SirWired

#9 · (Edited)
Cheapest Solution

Go to a paint store - I'll say Sherwin Williams because I know them. Ask for a color fan deck to *borrow*. Go home and match the color as close as you can, and go back to SW. Ask for a sample quart of the color match - it will cost you $5. Buy a cheap chip brush for $1 and you can take care of every small scuff and scratch in your home. :thumbup:

Wall Paint - Beauty on a Budget
Wall Paint

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.