Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-01-2010, 08:14 AM   #1

Share |

Top coating ceilings

In the professional painter's world, do they always apply a top coat on ceilings after priming new construction? My ceilings were all covered with a layer of drywall compound and then stamped with a stipple brush to create a textured ceiling. You barely see the lighter color of the joints showing through the texture. After one coat of Sherwin Williams Promar 200 primer all shadowing disappears. What are the pros and cons of not applying a top coat on the ceilings?

Ron Franck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2010, 12:40 PM   #2

Top coating ceilings

Not likely topcoated in new construction. Most of the guys probably use a very low grade paint if they have to color the ceiling. If you decide to top coat it be caurefull you dont pull down the mud.

AlabamaGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2010, 02:37 PM   #3

Top coating ceilings

Maybe I'm using the wrong terminology. How about I substitute "finish coat of paint" in place of "topcoat"? Is a finish coat of paint needed on ceilings after being primed?
Thanks
Old 04-01-2010, 02:40 PM   #4

Top coating ceilings

Needed, no. I'm sure that 99% of people myself included couldn't walk in a room and tell if the ceiling was painted or just primed.

I would use a "finish coat of paint" if it were my house.

I live in a new home and I'm sure that the ceilings are just primed as well but, if I were the one doing the work I would do it right and prime then paint.

Hope this helps. I know it's another step but, to do it right I'd paint it not just prime it.

Last edited by AlabamaGuy; 04-01-2010 at 03:06 PM.
AlabamaGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2010, 11:23 PM   #5

Top coating ceilings

Thanks for your reply. I have the paint and will be adding the finish coat.
Another added feature of the finish coat is the added "R" value.

What surprised me was how much that primer coat toughens up the wallboard. My nine year old grandson wanted to help roller on some primer so we set him up with his own roller and tray of primer and turned him loose on a kitchen wall. We were trying to teach him the correct technique but we missed an area he painted early on and found a few paint runs that had hardened before we could roll them out. That stuff sands like concrete. (well, almost) I was able to knock most of it down with a sheet of drywall sanding screen but it was starting to gouge the paper around the hardened run so I stopped. I top coated the area with a thin coat of joint compound, let it dry, sanded and primed it and now you can't see anything other than flat wall. We were not sure if we should go with drywall or kal-coat when deciding how to finish the walls. I'm glad I chose drywall because it's been real easy to go back and fix cosmetic errors.