DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

Tips on Painting new exterior doors ... help

3K views 6 replies 4 participants last post by  housepaintingny 
#1 ·
I'm going to replace the rear and front exterior doors. Best option is to replace entire frame since it is shot.

Anyway, dealer said to go with metal (based upon price and what I was looking for).

I am wondering what is the best way to paint these new doors:

latex or oil based

roll,paint, spray or get an auto body shop to spray it (this is what the dealer suggested)

Obviously I'd rather do it myself, as going to a auto body shop will run me an extra $250.00

Thanks for all the help!

#4 ·
I would suggest DTM primer/finish. DTM is a direct to metal industrial paint. I have used it on many metal doors. You could also go to Sherwin Williams and get there all purpose enamel. As far as oil or water bourne I recommend acrylic, dtm acrylic or all purpose enamel. Spraying is really not neccessary. With a good quality roller and brush you can do the doors by hand and end up whith a factory finish if you do them rite. I usually don't spray doors only because it takes me more time to set the sprayer up, mask stuff off, and clean the sprayer than it will take me to paint the doors by hand.

#6 ·
Oil is great for getting a nice finish, I dont like oil for exterior because it tends to fade quicker than latex, and it also turns chalky. So depending on your color choice would determine which product I would suggest. Deep color, use a latex....and roll it with a 4-6" velour or mohair roller( short nap ) Do them in your garage ( or someplace in the shade ) before you install, avoid painting them in direct sun. If you buy a good quality paint, a primer shouldnt be necessary. Wipe them down with Alcohol, or TSP to remove any oil before you paint....good to go :thumbsup:

Spraying is nice, but if you aren't comfortable, dont do it. Really easy to mess things up quickly and make more work for yourself.

DTM is a good paint as stated above. Only problem is, finding it in a qt. Usually these are Industrial products that are only available in gallons. For only 2 doors, a qt will be more than enough.

#7 ·
painting exterior metal doors

I agree with NCPaint1. I did not mention it in my original post, but proper cleaning is necessary and beings there metal doors they probably are already factory primed. A mohair roller cover with a short nap is probably the best way to go, that's usually what we would use on metal doors.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.