Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-08-2010, 07:31 PM   #1

Share |

Tips on Painting new drywall and texture

so my Kitchen, family room and entry way are being sprayed with knockdown tomorrow. Walls and ceilings. I will wait 3 days to prime. I am thinking using Dunn Edwards Primer and Dunn Edwards SP1 white for the top coat.

Questions:
1.Can I cut in all the walls and cornes with primer at one time then come back and roll all the walls and ceilings the next day?

2. I will paint the ceiling first starting in the kitchen, but what direction do I go when the ceiling opens into the family room? Picture the kitchen and family room as an "L shape? the bottom of the "L" is the kitchen the long part is the family room? Do I go end to end?

3. Also, because the kitchen and family room share the same ceiling I don't want the have a semi-gloss line going across the ceiling will I be okay with satin or eggshell for the entire ceiling?

thanks!

titan7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 06:20 AM   #2
40+yrs Paint Trades

Quote:
Originally Posted by titan7 View Post
so my Kitchen, family room and entry way are being sprayed with knockdown tomorrow. Walls and ceilings. I will wait 3 days to prime. I am thinking using Dunn Edwards Primer and Dunn Edwards SP1 white for the top coat.

Questions:
1.Can I cut in all the walls and cornes with primer at one time then come back and roll all the walls and ceilings the next day?

2. I will paint the ceiling first starting in the kitchen, but what direction do I go when the ceiling opens into the family room? Picture the kitchen and family room as an "L shape? the bottom of the "L" is the kitchen the long part is the family room? Do I go end to end?

3. Also, because the kitchen and family room share the same ceiling I don't want the have a semi-gloss line going across the ceiling will I be okay with satin or eggshell for the entire ceiling?

thanks!
1 Better to cut an roll at the same time. "hatbanding" can occur otherwise.

2 Don't understand but I always try to roll with the shortest dimension, not the longest.

3 Use eggshell, it has a slightly duller sheen than satin.

hoz49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 01:04 PM   #3
Contractor

Did you get any quotes from local painters? They can come in a day or two after the texture when the house is still masked up with a sprayer. They can have the walls primed and painted in a day for not very much more than it will cost you for paint.

I had a small contractor who painted a house he was building himself ask me how much it would have cost to have me paint it after thee textured. I told him the price and said it would have taken a day. He replied, "So I worked the better part of a week for $200?"
Sasquatchpaint is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Sasquatchpaint For This Useful Post:
titan7 (12-13-2010)
Old 12-13-2010, 11:41 PM   #4

thanks, around here I got a quote for $900 for walls and ceilings one color. They want to spray primer and first coat on day one, then come back day two for second top coat. The paint will cost me about $350-$400. The kitchen is 10x15 the family room is 13x18 the entry is 5x16.
Old 12-14-2010, 06:15 AM   #5
40+yrs Paint Trades

They bid 900.00, does that include the paint? Or are you supposed to supply the material?

Where do you live?
Old 12-14-2010, 03:31 PM   #6

$900 for labor and paint.

So. CA Orange County.
Old 12-14-2010, 04:27 PM   #7
40+yrs Paint Trades

IMO, that's not a bad price.