Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-27-2010, 07:23 AM   #1

Share |

Tips on painting 6 panel hollow core doors

I've replaced some interior doors with economical 6 panel preprimed masonite doors. I want to paint them white and plan to use a semi-gloss latex paint. I'm not a painter and simply loath the process. My previous attempts at painting smooth surface interior doors were epic failures as I'd end up with brush marks and roller marks.

Since the new doors are paneled and have a wood texture I was planning on using a brush. (I have a 3" wooster) Is this the right call? Also, what tips do you have for getting a consistant finish without brush marks? I plan to paint them flat on saw horses. Should I paint the panels first and then the styles and rails? Is there a way I can keep the paint wetter longer so that it's easier to keep a wet edge? Since this is water based paint can I just add a bit of water to my paint? I'm a slow painter and I believe part of my problem is I can't keep up with the paint drying.

Tips?

speedster1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 11:35 AM   #2

I've done this using Benjamin Moore white trim paint, 2" Purdey paint brush and small rollers. The rollers I use are about 4" long and about 1" in diameter and 3/8" nap.

I usually paint them standing up. I start by painting a light coat on the inside of the recessed panel edge using the brush making sure to use light brush strokes to avoid brush marks in the finish product. Make sure no paint builds up in the corners. Once satisfied with the recessed areas I then use the roller to paint the inside raised panels and then roll along edges.

You may have to go over some areas where rolling directions overlap to even out any roller marks. Repeat for at least 2 coats or until your desired coverage is reached.

Never use water in an attempt to extend its working time. Water should only be used to thin a latex paint that has thickened due to age or maybe the paint lid was left off.

Instead use a product called Floetrol. It should be available at any paint store.

moopey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 02:22 PM   #3
Painting Company, NY

I would use a 1/4 inch nap 4inch mini roller and 3inch brush. Start with your panels first, then your rails, then styles. When painting the rails and styles work in the same direction as the grain. Stop painting when you get to a joint. I rarely ever thin anything there really isn't a need to and brush marks can usually be prevented with a quality brush, quality paint, and using the right technique. If you are using a water base paint then flotrol is your best bet for thinning.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

housepaintingny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 02:50 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by housepaintingny View Post
I would use a 1/4 inch nap 4inch mini roller and 3inch brush. Start with your panels first, then your rails, then styles. When painting the rails and styles work in the same direction as the grain. Stop painting when you get to a joint. I rarely ever thin anything there really isn't a need to and brush marks can usually be prevented with a quality brush, quality paint, and using the right technique. If you are using a water base paint then flotrol is your best bet for thinning.
my mistake, 1/4"nap is best to use. friggin fractions always messing me up. haha.
moopey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 03:42 PM   #5
jschaben

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedster1 View Post
I've replaced some interior doors with economical 6 panel preprimed masonite doors. I want to paint them white and plan to use a semi-gloss latex paint. I'm not a painter and simply loath the process. My previous attempts at painting smooth surface interior doors were epic failures as I'd end up with brush marks and roller marks.

Since the new doors are paneled and have a wood texture I was planning on using a brush. (I have a 3" wooster) Is this the right call? Also, what tips do you have for getting a consistant finish without brush marks? I plan to paint them flat on saw horses. Should I paint the panels first and then the styles and rails? Is there a way I can keep the paint wetter longer so that it's easier to keep a wet edge? Since this is water based paint can I just add a bit of water to my paint? I'm a slow painter and I believe part of my problem is I can't keep up with the paint drying.

Tips?
Looks like you have the suggestions for the tools. To help maintain a wet edge, I would suggest a paint conditioner such as Floetrol. Essentially an additive for spray painting to help it flow better through the sprayer, a side benefit is it tends to retard drying time. Won't affect the sheen until you get to around 20% or so but for brushing/rolling, you shouldn't get anywhere near that.
Personally, the best way I have found to avoid brush marks is not to use one. I would spray the things. Preferably HVLP but airless would work also.
JMHO

"Where all think alike, no one is thinking very much"
jschaben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 07:41 PM   #6

if the doors are grained it's easy, brush on a quality paint and enjoy. if they are smooth doors and you want a perfect finish you have to shoot them with an airless. no amount of $50/gal paint, purdy brushes or thinning agents will duplicate what an airless will. if you do go airless classic 99 would be a good paint. i would avoid pro classic or any of the $50-60 gallon paints, they are thick and contain leveling agents not needed when you spray. basically you would spend twice as much and get no real benefit. in the summer i sometimes use valspar in an airless. their paint is thin but with decent pigment. it's horrible to try and roll on but the thin nature isn't bad in an airless. it does perform better in heat. cold weather makes it extremely easy to run. besides classic 99 is a better all around paint.

Last edited by racebum; 10-27-2010 at 07:44 PM.
racebum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010, 06:01 AM   #7

Thanks for the tips. Unfortunately I do not have a sprayer. I don't know much about them but I've seen some that cost $300. I can't justify something like that considering painting is not my profession. Are there any reasonably priced sprayers that do a good job? I have an air compressor. Can I use one of those sprayers that are used to paint cars? Something like this? http://www.amazon.com/Tool-Force--C1...8263409&sr=8-4 . Can those sprayers shoot semi-gloass latex if it's thinned with a paint conditioner?
Old 10-28-2010, 09:15 AM   #8
jschaben

Quote:
Thanks for the tips. Unfortunately I do not have a sprayer. I don't know much about them but I've seen some that cost $300. I can't justify something like that considering painting is not my profession. Are there any reasonably priced sprayers that do a good job? I have an air compressor. Can I use one of those sprayers that are used to paint cars? Something like this? http://www.amazon.com/Tool-Force--C1...8263409&sr=8-4 . Can those sprayers shoot semi-gloass latex if it's thinned with a paint conditioner?
Hi Speed - Short answer to all your questions would be yes although you would need to practice a bit. Spraying is very easy but, like every thing else takes a bit of learning. I've never used a sprayer like the one you linked to but the price is good and the reviews appear to be terrific. Downside is, once you start spray painting, you never want to pick up a brush again.

Old 10-28-2010, 09:26 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by jschaben View Post
Hi Speed - Short answer to all your questions would be yes although you would need to practice a bit. Spraying is very easy but, like every thing else takes a bit of learning. I've never used a sprayer like the one you linked to but the price is good and the reviews appear to be terrific. Downside is, once you start spray painting, you never want to pick up a brush again.
Thanks. I believe at that price it couldn't hurt to try it. I'll do a bit more research into some HVLP type of spray guns that are in that price range. Coming from someone who hates to paint if this makes it easier and more barable then I'm all for it. That unit cost about the same as a couple of quality paint brushes and rollers. So it can't hurt.

It's amazon's #1 selling HVLP sprayer and I didn't read a single negative review on it. Any better options for under $50 out there?
Old 10-28-2010, 10:59 AM   #10
Painting Company, NY

Quote:
Thanks. I believe at that price it couldn't hurt to try it. I'll do a bit more research into some HVLP type of spray guns that are in that price range. Coming from someone who hates to paint if this makes it easier and more barable then I'm all for it. That unit cost about the same as a couple of quality paint brushes and rollers. So it can't hurt.

It's amazon's #1 selling HVLP sprayer and I didn't read a single negative review on it. Any better options for under $50 out there?
You would be better off with a airless sprayer with a 311 fine finish tip for doors. With an HVLP especially a smaller one you have to thin latex paint way to much. Latex shouldn't really be thinned more than 10%. You would need at least a 3-4 stage turbine hvlp to eliminate a lot of thinning. Even using an airless sprayer I never thin paint. You can paint your doors with a mini roller and brush and still have them looking good. I've even painted 100s of smooth wood and metal doors with a mini roller and brush over the years and have had them come out looking smooth using a 1/4 inch mohair mini roller

housepaintingny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010, 12:07 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by housepaintingny View Post
You would be better off with a airless sprayer with a 311 fine finish tip for doors. With an HVLP especially a smaller one you have to thin latex paint way to much. Latex shouldn't really be thinned more than 10%. You would need at least a 3-4 stage turbine hvlp to eliminate a lot of thinning. Even using an airless sprayer I never thin paint. You can paint your doors with a mini roller and brush and still have them looking good. I've even painted 100s of smooth wood and metal doors with a mini roller and brush over the years and have had them come out looking smooth using a 1/4 inch mohair mini roller
Is there a airless sprayer you can recommend that doesn't cost a fortune. Remember, I'm not a contractor and do not plan to paint commercially so if it's super-expensive I'm not interested.

I'm sure you probably have painted hundreds of doors with brushes and rollers and made them look good but you are a paint professional. I've painted probably 4 doors in my lifetime and that's not enough to perfect a craft. None of them turned out very well in all honesty. The most recent doors I painted I used a 4 inch foam cabinet roller and at first I thought the paint was going on nicely but after it dried I could see the stripes I created when I bounce light off the door. I unfortunately don't have the luxury of painting hundreds of doors to perfect a craft. I've had better luck with brushes but spraying intrigues me.
Old 10-28-2010, 02:58 PM   #12
jschaben

Quote:
Is there a airless sprayer you can recommend that doesn't cost a fortune. Remember, I'm not a contractor and do not plan to paint commercially so if it's super-expensive I'm not interested.

I'm sure you probably have painted hundreds of doors with brushes and rollers and made them look good but you are a paint professional. I've painted probably 4 doors in my lifetime and that's not enough to perfect a craft. None of them turned out very well in all honesty. The most recent doors I painted I used a 4 inch foam cabinet roller and at first I thought the paint was going on nicely but after it dried I could see the stripes I created when I bounce light off the door. I unfortunately don't have the luxury of painting hundreds of doors to perfect a craft. I've had better luck with brushes but spraying intrigues me.

Hi Speed - Personally, I think the gun you are looking at will do the job just fine. From the reviews, you can turn the pressure to help out. Also, it is a gravity feed gun so it doesn't need to suck the paint up to the tip. You may need to thin the paint a bit more but one of the nice things about HVLP is it puts out a spray about like a rattle can does. Simply put on several light coats. I like doing a "wet" recoat with HVLP. That is, I will recoat within a few minutes. Gives the paint a little time to set and then hit it again. Provides a superior coat, helps avoid runs and really stretches the paint. Contractors wont like the method as it takes a little longer but is a pretty good method for a non-pro to get a good finish. Just spray all ten doors with one coat and go back right away for the second or third if necessary. Shouldn't be to bad nor take to long spraying pre-primed doors white.
The only concern I would have is whether your compressor would be up to the task. Try to find out what the air consumption requirements are for the gun you are looking at and check you compressor specs. Don't forget you are only running about 30-40 psi max.
I don't think you are going to find a airless in your budget that will throw the paint you are looking at. I also question using a .011 fine finish tip with it.
Good Luck and keep us posted

Old 10-28-2010, 08:06 PM   #13

Doing more research this evening about HVLP sprayers I'm concerned about weather my compressor is powerful enough. It's a 12 gallon 1.2hp craftsman and puts out 3.7 SCFM at 40psi. THe recommendation was a 2-3 HP compressor.
Old 10-28-2010, 09:36 PM   #14

oh wow, just checked back. okay, an autobody hvlp like the link above won't shoot latex unless you cut it 50% with water and it's a thin paint {like valspar} to start with. what you want is a turbine hvlp or an airless. one of the wagner cheapies or a ryobi will work. look at this

http://www.amazon.com/Wagner-Product...8319778&sr=8-8

$59 shipped, this will actually shoot latex and does not require your compressor. make sure you clean this gun well when you're done, if you don't it will die

believe me, i have tried shooting latex out of an autobody gun, it has to be thinned a LOT

Last edited by racebum; 10-28-2010 at 09:40 PM.
racebum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010, 10:34 PM   #15
jschaben

Quote:
Originally Posted by racebum View Post
oh wow, just checked back. okay, an autobody hvlp like the link above won't shoot latex unless you cut it 50% with water and it's a thin paint {like valspar} to start with. what you want is a turbine hvlp or an airless. one of the wagner cheapies or a ryobi will work. look at this

http://www.amazon.com/Wagner-Product...8319778&sr=8-8

$59 shipped, this will actually shoot latex and does not require your compressor. make sure you clean this gun well when you're done, if you don't it will die

believe me, i have tried shooting latex out of an autobody gun, it has to be thinned a LOT

That dog won't hunt for sure. Here's the technical description from Amazon:
Technical Details
  • HVLP control sprayer for spraying thin materials such as deck stain, wood sealers, and more
  • Maximum control, low overspray; 3 pattern shapes; variable flow control; 4 psi at 40 cfm
  • Light plastic housing and reservoir
  • Includes sprayer and 1-1/2-quart sprayer cup
  • 1-year warranty

Product Description

From the Manufacturer

This Wagner power paint sprayer uses HVLP air technology to spray thin materials with maximum control and lower overspray than traditional sprayers. Pattern shapes can be changed from vertical or horizontal fan patterns for larger surfaces to round patterns for more detail work. Material size and flow rate are adjustable at the trigger. Sprayable materials include deck stains, clear wood sealers, waterproofers and enamels. Great for deck railings, yard play sets, kids toys, and yard furniture.

Product Description

Control Spray, HVLP Paint Sprayer, High Volume Low Pressure Paint Sprayer For Spraying Thin Bodied Coatings, Sprays In 3 Patterns Horizontal Fan, Vertical Fan Or Round Fan, Variable Trigger Flow Control With Patterns From 1-10", Built In Air Turbine & Sprayer, Cup Holds 1-1/2 QT, Lock-N-Go Technology For Fast Color Changes & Easy Cleaning.

The gun he's looking at will shoot it just fine with the 2.0 tip.