Tip Size Question For My HVLP Paint Gun...First Post! - Painting - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-12-2013, 10:04 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Tip size question for my HVLP paint gun...First Post!

Hello All! First Post!

I have a question about the tip size that I need for my Sharpe 975 HVLP spray gun. I am using a water based latex for redoing some end tables that I have. The problem that I am running into is getting my gun to spray correctly. I have thinned down my paint quite a bit with some water and that has helped but it still is not thin enough.
I dont want to thin it too much as it will eventually become too thin and not adhere to the surface of the wood very well. I know they make thinning agents that will not dilute the paint like water will but I would rather not have to buy those If I can just find the correct tip for the viscosity of the finish that I am trying to spray.
The tip I have now will spray stain and polyurethane just fine as they are very thin to begin with and no dilution is needed. This is how I have come to the conclusion that the tip size if simply too small for the paint I am trying to use. LEt me say this...all paint used will be water based.
So my question is....What tip size do I need when spraying an interior primer or latex (or anything fairly thick)?
I am not 100% sure on the tip size that I have now but I am guessing that is it 1mm or smaller. Where would be a good place to get a different tip size? What is the largest tip I can run on this gun?

Just for fun I will show you all what I have been working on.
Here is a before and after...the after is on the left...

Advertisement

Last edited by tango0202; 09-12-2013 at 10:48 AM.
tango0202 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 09:28 PM   #2
handpaintedbysteve.com

Rewards Points: 152

Hey tango,
First of all does the air cap (where the paint comes out) does it have a number on it, and does the gun have a manufacture name or model number? Where did you purchase the unit?

Advertisement

spraygunn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 08:43 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 296

HVLP units are great for thin materials- lacquers, alkyds, etc. Most HVLP units do not have the air cap/projection sets to atomize thick latex paints. As a result, excessive thinning results in poor coverage and overspray. More advanced HVLP units do have this capacity.
Will22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 09:21 AM   #4

The only markings that it has on it is the "975" on the side of it. The tip does not show any numbering on it indicating a tip size.
What I have done tho is went to the local store and picked up a new gun with a 1.5mm tip and thinned the paint with water and got it to spray decent but not great. So I am thinking that a tip of 2.0mm or bigger would spray it much better. I have seen some of the hink's and Sata guns that have tips as big as 2.3mm.
Old 09-13-2013, 12:24 PM   #5
handpaintedbysteve.com

Rewards Points: 152

Well it sounds like you’re on the right track. If they offer different nozzles and air caps then a 2.0 or higher will spray glue. A good quality gun is priceless.
spraygunn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 02:02 PM   #6

Yes its looks like I am just going to have to get away from the cheaper guns and spend the money...buy once cry once right???

Advertisement