Tinted Poly On Soffits - Painting - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-05-2011, 05:37 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Tinted Poly on soffits

Hi, I need some advice on soffit painting. We are using a tinted oil based polyurethane on the soffets, and I'm wondering if we can go over the acryllic caulking with that, or should it be coated first, and caulked after? The caulking would basically only be on the backside of the facia board,( at HO's request ) anything else has already been done with wood filler. Also, I plan to spray and backbrush these soffets, does anyone see a problem painting over the poly w/acrylic paint on the siding, if I get a little bit on the siding? This is a new const. house. Thanks........any advice will be greatly apreciated.

Advertisement

HMPainter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2011, 06:11 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 1,000

Tinted Poly on soffits

I've never seen a caulk, except pure silicone, that can't take a particular type of topcoat, be it oil or latex. I wouldn't think twice about it personally. As to putting acylic over the oil poly that laps on to the siding, I don't see a problem with either. I'm assuming your talking about the lap being at the cut line, if anything I might scuff sand it a bit prior to brushing in the cut.

Advertisement

jsheridan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2011, 10:17 PM   #3
handpaintedbysteve.com

Rewards Points: 152

Tinted Poly on soffits

Hey HMpainter,
I would caulk after you've coated the soffit, by doing it that way you eliminate the possibility of the raw wood absorbing the vehicle of the caulk. Secondly reconsider using polyurethane. A spar varnish is more suited for your needs, that's what it's designed for. Thirdly, I'm old enough to remember why latex got a bad name in the first place. Latex used to be applied over the oil base exterior enamel which was a hard finish. There was nothing the latex coating could bond to, consequently the latex peeled in sheets. I remember many a hot summer day we scraped flaking latex while sweating and having that stuff getting in our eyes and sticking to every drop of sweat. You would be better off masking the siding to prevent any problem in the future of the latex over the varnish peeling. Just the opinion of an old guy.
spraygunn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2011, 04:59 AM   #4

Tinted Poly on soffits

Thanks a lot for the info. I am planning to kind of sheild the siding, so if any we're only talking about maybe a quarter inch or so on the siding, I think I should be good just to give that tiny bit a quick scuff, and to be honest I'm not exactly sure what the tinted clear is, I was just assuming it's poly. It's what was spec'd by the owner. Being that I am just an employee, and this is not my job, I don't really have anything to lose here, just wanted to gain as much knowledge as possible. Again, thanks a lot for the info.
Old 03-06-2011, 08:40 AM   #5

Rewards Points: 1,000

Tinted Poly on soffits

After re-reading this thread, I'm not sure I was following what OP was putting out. I'm thinking he's using a traditional paint with PU resins, like the one F&H made in interior latex for higher durability. Now I see that he's putting a toned clear, like Cabot's produces, which is not poly, over raw wood in a stain fashion. While you never caulk any unsealed surface, I don't like leaving caulk unfinished, if it's a one and done job. At least, it becomes a dirt magnet, at worst, it degrades faster. I'm assuming he would use clear, so the difference in color wouldn't be an issue. I don't see a problem with acrylic over poly, provided, as I said, you scuff it a bit for tooth prior to application. A couple of inches under an eave shouldn't be a huge concern.

Last edited by jsheridan; 03-06-2011 at 08:43 AM.
jsheridan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2011, 11:58 AM   #6
handpaintedbysteve.com

Tinted Poly on soffits

Hey HMpainter,
I'll bet your customer most likely went to a big box and saw Minwax "Polyshades". What a potential nightmare that is. Just a colored varnish. Do your best to try to talk them out of it. In the end you'll be the villain not the hero. If they agree make sure you readjust your bid price to compensate for the extra time, and yet get them to sign a waiver stating they accept all responsibility for appearance, durability, and longevity. If they won't, do as they want, just don't do it on a hot day.
Old 03-06-2011, 01:48 PM   #7

Tinted Poly on soffits

Hey, thanks for the replies. I'll try and get the name of the stuff today, you're right though I'm 99% sure it came from a big box store and is pretty cheap and probably crap. Although being just a worker bee I don't really have any say in the matter, or any dealings with the customer. My employer I think is a little inexperienced to think that this could be a big deal. I guess he hasn't gone through a big enough failure YET, to know that this could be a very big deal. Also, we won't be having any hot days around here for another couple months Thanks again
Old 03-06-2011, 03:23 PM   #8
handpaintedbysteve.com

Tinted Poly on soffits

HM, you might be the luckiest one in the company. Let your boss deal with it.
Old 03-06-2011, 09:18 PM   #9

Tinted Poly on soffits

It's called Cloverdale Sunfast, a rhodda product. I guess it wasn't from a box store. I couldn't find anything on the tds about tinting, but I know it's not clear that we're using. Seems like it might be some OK stuff, never used it b4 though.

Advertisement