Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-24-2008, 10:08 AM   #1
Stretch

Share |

Tint primer to assist in drywall texturing???

Just finished skimming some walls in preparation for applying a new texture. Texturing will be a new skill for me, but I have been researching it & am pretty confident I will do fine with some practice prior.

The skimmed walls look great...smooth as a babe's bottom, but they are obviously completely white and I am concerned that in applying the white texture compound, I will have difficulty seeing my work. New construction drywall is a light tan and it got me to thinking (scary)...

Since I'm gonna prime prior to texturing, is there anything wrong with adding some dark brown paint to the primer, so the wall comes out a light tan? If OK, what type of paint would be best?

Primer used is white KILZ general purpose Interior water base sealer-primer (would you recommend something better? I will be doing more of this in the future).

One more question...when I applied the above primer to the ugly blue walls prior to skimming, it seemed thin, transparent really...the ugly blue showed thru like before. I stirred thoroughly. Is that the normal consistency of primer?

Thanks in advance!

Last edited by scheenstra; 04-24-2008 at 10:10 AM.
scheenstra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2008, 10:41 AM   #2
Stretch

Found it! Went to the KILZ website...it can be tinted with a universal colorant (sold in 4 & 8 oz. bottles).

Sorry about that, hopefully someone else learned something as well (like researching before posting!)
scheenstra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2008, 06:51 PM   #3

Yes, primer can be tinted.

Yes, there are far better primers available than water-base Kilz. In fact, that very primer gets more complaints than any other product, save Behr paint, on this board. (Okay, Thompson's Water Seal is in the running too.)

Get yourself to an actual paint store instead of your local BigBox and ask them what to use.

To help you see your work, light it from the side with a high-watt work light. That will throw shadows that make the texture obvious. (This is also a common way to look for defects in the wall's surface.)

SirWired
sirwired is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2008, 06:53 PM   #4
Drywall and Painting Pro

What type of texture will you be applying?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Checkout some of
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sir MixAlot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2008, 08:48 PM   #5
Tired, Cold, and Damp

Seriously stay away from the latex Kilz "primers"
Their adhesion issues won't be helped by the weight of that texture

Pretty much any premium primer from Ben Moore, Sherwin Williams, Pittsburgh, etc, will do
The Zinsser products (a primer specialty company) are great also
Whichever Paint Store is closest to you or the nicest to you
slickshift is offline   Reply With Quote