Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-22-2011, 09:34 AM   #1
retired guy

Rewards Points: 77

time and money

I was booted out of the pro painter forum for asking this question. I get their exclusiveness. No problem. So I will ask it here. How much time and at what cost do you think you'd have invested in painting a bedroom with the following conditions:
11 x 12, first floor, 1 window, 2 doors, a double bed in the center to work around, two coats of HO supplied paint, no trim work. I'd like to get an idea of what my skills/price is compared to others. Thanks.

igneous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 09:39 AM   #2
Coatings Nerd

Rewards Points: 250

time and money

Quote:
Originally Posted by igneous View Post
I was booted out of the pro painter forum for asking this question. I get their exclusiveness. No problem. So I will ask it here. How much time and at what cost do you think you'd have invested in painting a bedroom with the following conditions:
11 x 12, first floor, 1 window, 2 doors, a double bed in the center to work around, two coats of HO supplied paint, no trim work. I'd like to get an idea of what my skills/price is compared to others. Thanks.
Everyones overhead is different, thats why pricing questions are frowned on. Only you can determine your price. You have to factor in your costs of doing business. Insurance, taxes, vehicles, equipment, labor and then profit.

For example
If I came in and said $89...thats just my price, with my overhead and production rates. Yours will be different.

Benjamin Moore, Sikkens, TWP, PPG, Airless sales and service
NCpaint1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 10:08 AM   #3
retired guy

time and money

Thanks for the honest reply. Bear with me, and let me ask you how long would it take you to do that room? Money, etc. aside.
Old 02-22-2011, 10:09 AM   #4
Coatings Nerd

time and money

Start to cleanup, maybe 3 hours.

Benjamin Moore, Sikkens, TWP, PPG, Airless sales and service
NCpaint1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 10:21 AM   #5
Painting Company, NY

Rewards Points: 528

time and money

Like NC said. Everyone's price is different. There is no set rate. There are a lot of variables that go in to your hourly. Some are insurance, License fees, gas, office expenses, any rental fees, vehicle matence, advertising expenses, owners salary, taxes, tools, professional fees etc. Then you have direct expenses such as paint. Then on top of that you may have sales tax to add to your estimate depending on your state laws. NYS requires sales tax to be charge on painting projects unless you receive a tax exempt form or its a capital improvement I.e new construction. As far as how long it should take only you know your production rates, but a professional painter should paint 200-250 square feet per hour.
housepaintingny is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to housepaintingny For This Useful Post:
NCpaint1 (02-22-2011)
Old 02-22-2011, 10:37 AM   #6
retired guy

time and money

Thank you to both gentlemen for replying. Since everything is relative, I was interested in how I compared to the others in this field. I'm not far off. Thanks again for indulging me.
Old 02-22-2011, 01:45 PM   #7
Painting Company, NY

time and money

You also need to charge for the value of your service. We provide great customer service and quality work with a written warranty, so our value is high. Its like buying a cadillac or honda. A customer can pay one contractor a lower rate, but may receive lower quality work or they can pay a little more and receive quality work and have a positive experience. If you continually give out estimates you will continually have work at your rate. No painting contractor gets every estimate he submits, if he does then he is pricing to low and will not succeed in this business.
Old 02-22-2011, 04:28 PM   #8
retired guy

time and money

I like the way you think. As they say, Quality pays. I've learned as a payer for services that low prices aren't always what they're cracked up to be.
I had granite counters installed, and watched the "craftsmen" ply their trade. I was not impressed. Of course, I watch Tom Silva on "This Old House," and no one can compare to him.
Old 02-22-2011, 06:46 PM   #9
Super Master Painter

time and money

Quote:
how long would it take you to do that room? .

im sorry but I cant answer this question cause im the current world record holder with a brush and im bound by contract not to disclose official figures and times etc etc ................
Ole34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 06:54 PM   #10
retired guy

time and money

I understand the limitations that are thrust upon a celebrity of your caliber. The fact that you responded shows that even the elite can have a connection to us common folk. It is people like you who inspire me to do better. Roll on.
Old 02-22-2011, 07:04 PM   #11
Super Master Painter

time and money

Quote:
I understand the limitations that are thrust upon a celebrity of your caliber. The fact that you responded shows that even the elite can have a connection to us common folk. It is people like you who inspire me to do better. Roll on.

lol...........bout time we get somebody with a sense of humor in here...........
Old 02-22-2011, 07:14 PM   #12
Super Master Painter

time and money

ok to answer your question about that room...............it really shouldn't take long... plan on being out of there after lunch at the latest... sooner if everything runs smooth....... and should only cost about $300-400 in labor, I charge a flat rate for those small jobs, no sense in chargin by the hour cause its not worth it to drive out there ........
Old 02-22-2011, 09:48 PM   #13

Rewards Points: 2,224

time and money

And, always remember, MOST professionals carry insurance to cover any liabilities which may occur........I think that cost is often overlooked when a NON-PRO is hired to paint. Sure, his price may be a lot lower, but, he can afford to be lower because he pays no insurance costs.
Gymschu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 09:57 PM   #14
Painting Company, NY

time and money

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gymschu View Post
And, always remember, MOST professionals carry insurance to cover any liabilities which may occur........I think that cost is often overlooked when a NON-PRO is hired to paint. Sure, his price may be a lot lower, but, he can afford to be lower because he pays no insurance costs.
I could not agree more and in most states it is the law. It is overlooked by customers at times. That is why legitimate contractors need to continue to educate homeowners on the laws. In most states you need to be licensed too, at least at a city level and some states also require sales and use tax to be charged on labor and materials.
Old 02-22-2011, 10:37 PM   #15

Rewards Points: 1,052

time and money

Don't forget prep time. Furniture to move, holes to patch, drywall repair, sanding, caulking etc can a lot of the time be more labor than the actual painting.

Matthewt1970 is offline   Reply With Quote