Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-23-2011, 07:46 AM   #1

Share |

Time Estimating- What's reasonable?

When planning time to roll walls and ceilings. What is a reasonable # of hours/SF/coat to plan on for the job. 100sf/hr/coat? 150? ...
(Assuming an "average" non-profesional painter is doing the work and understanding that the trim will be a completely different .)

weehooker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2011, 08:08 AM   #2
Rubbin walls since'79

Sounds like your looking for a price..
Is the room occupied?
Did someone else set it up for you, or is that included?
Clean up wash up too?
There are all levels of skill-
I don't feel anyone could really answer this but you.

Old 10-23-2011, 10:07 AM   #3

Weehooker, brushjockey is absolutely correct.

A proposal to paint an area is based on numerous factors. I was taught that, in order to be a competent estimator, one has to have a good understanding of what he and his crew are truly capable of doing in a specified period of time, the amount of work, not what the spec'd price is per sq ft or unit.

While there is a general medium where all professional contractors meet, meaning relatively competitive proposed prices, there are particulars that make one crew better than another price wise. An extreme example is a crew of bridge painters competing to paint a building full of ceilings and walls. They'll lose to those who do that regularly.

If I can paint five of a certain type of window in one day, I'll beat those who can only do less than five. Or, I'll know my competition and get a higher than my regular one day rate but lower than their two day rate. There are way too many variables from the contractor's end, and then there are the multiple variables of the individual job requirements, as BJ alluded to.

The price of a individual job can only be determined by the one proposing to do that particular job. Sorry bud. That's why I told you in another post to consider the cost of someone spraying your house compared to the value of your time doing it yourself.
Example: Would a one time charge of say $600.00 sound worth it to you to save yourself from spending five full days cutting and rolling? It does me, but I'm the painter. What is the value of your time, which is what the whole question boils down to, from both perspectives.

BTW, where are you in SE Mass, I have a good friend in E. Douglas. I know he can't be you, because even if he was a hooker, he wouldn't be able to describe himself as wee. lol, lol.
jsheridan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2011, 10:49 AM   #4

Sorry, I should have clarified myself. Thought it would have flowed from my previous post.

No, I'm not looking for a price, just an estimate of my wife and I's time to earmark for the project. I need to schedule leave from the office and working on a completion schedule. ( I'm doing the painting and floors myself and won't put my current home on the market until I'm ready to move furniture into the new one.)
It's a new construction Modular ranch, 8.5' trayed ceilings, Open floor plan, nothing inside. The house will arrive with the interior primed and without floors. i.e. I expect to do little masking/drop cloths initially for ceilings and walls.

p.s. I am going to have someone come in and give me a price but I'll be pleasently surprized if I can get anybody to touch this job for under $3000 never mind $600. The few times I've shopped for/ hired painters around here (for my current home), It's been $50-$70/hr. in reality, I would love to be wrong here and just farm it out, but experience tells me it's going to get priced out of comfort zone.
Thanks again for your sound advice though.

Last edited by weehooker; 10-23-2011 at 10:59 AM.
Old 10-23-2011, 11:22 AM   #5
Rubbin walls since'79

Well, just as an example- I can almost always paint out an average ( lets say 15X20) ceiling , no furniture but i have to lay drops, in under 2 hours.
But again- smooth, textured? what kind of texture?
If it's raw will need 2 coats- does this include watching it dry?
Painting is also about setting up efficient systems and order so that things flow and time and effort is not wasted.
A contractor is constantly tweeking this, and it is different if it is a solo job or you take other people and their abilities into the equation. And your wife is another variable!
weehooker (10-23-2011)
Old 10-23-2011, 12:13 PM   #6

That's helpful, if a pro can do a basic 300sf smooth ceiling in 2 hours, I'll estimate I can roll it in 3. So I'll use 100sf/hr as a baseline with hopes of improving as I go.

p.s. I'm just off cape near New Bedford.
Odd handle I know, long story made short. It's a hold over from my old flats skiffs name. "Wee Hooker"
Old 10-23-2011, 12:43 PM   #7
Tileguy

Quote:
Odd handle I know, long story made short. It's a hold over from my old flats skiffs name. "Wee Hooker"
Not at all my thinking. My thoughts are a lot funnier tho. Since this website is rated "Family Hour" (most of the time) I'll keep my thoughts to myself.
Bud Cline is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2011, 03:40 PM   #8
ltd

ok here we go lets say 12x14 bed ceiling. paint in a five gal bucket with screen and a adjustable stick or a deep pro tray. no drops no masking about 1 hour to 1 1/2 hour. now stay in your ceiling paint and move on to next room and so on when first ceiling is dry put you second coat on. this is if you are in good shape and have a basic idea of what the heck your doing
ltd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2011, 04:43 PM   #9
paper hanger and painter

Quote:
Originally Posted by weehooker View Post
That's helpful, if a pro can do a basic 300sf smooth ceiling in 2 hours, I'll estimate I can roll it in 3. So I'll use 100sf/hr as a baseline with hopes of improving as I go.

p.s. I'm just off cape near New Bedford.

Don't forget to alot time to watch it dry
chrisn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2011, 04:46 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by ltd View Post
ok here we go lets say 12x14 bed ceiling. paint in a five gal bucket with screen and a adjustable stick or a deep pro tray. no drops no masking about 1 hour to 1 1/2 hour. now stay in your ceiling paint and move on to next room and so on when first ceiling is dry put you second coat on. this is if you are in good shape and have a basic idea of what the heck your doing

Thank You, exactly my plan.
The Following User Says Thank You to weehooker For This Useful Post:
ltd (10-23-2011)
Old 10-23-2011, 04:54 PM   #11
DIY staff

Be organized and set up a system--these members will give you the best order of painting---

For me---it's ceilings first----then trims and doors (I like to spray the doors if there is a safe place to do that)---add a 'spatter mask' (painters tape on the baseboards) --last--the walls--