Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-16-2012, 09:45 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 500

Thumbs up for Sherwin Williams paint

Well I popped open my first gallon of Sherwin Williams paint today and boy, what great stuff! It handles beautifully, perfect viscosity...it goes on like silk and it covers super well. I'm not ever using anything else if I can help it.

While Benjamin Moore is good, and they have a store two blocks from me, I have been less than impressed with the staff there. They never seem to know what they have and what's what, and the final straw was that the last gallon they sold me they did not even mix thoroughly. I was not paying complete attention and started painting with it...rolled it out and it was a different color than the cut in areas. Argh! Remix, recut, reroll, what a pain.

Ironlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 01:07 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 626

Well I am glad that your happy with SWP it is a great paint at a over priced value if you used duration at 65.00 a gallon or the new one coming out in march Emerald at over 70 dollars per gallon. Hey great for you. I use other brands like Kelly Moore and parker and Rodda all locally made paint with just as high quality as SWP at half the price. But if you can afford SWP stay with it.

Nailbags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 04:36 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 10

It really puzzles me as to why they would have their head so far up their but. I personally only use them when a customer requests and tell my guys to only use them as a last resort
JoshDiLugi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 05:16 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 75

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nailbags View Post
Well I am glad that your happy with SWP it is a great paint at a over priced value if you used duration at 65.00 a gallon or the new one coming out in march Emerald at over 70 dollars per gallon. Hey great for you. I use other brands like Kelly Moore and parker and Rodda all locally made paint with just as high quality as SWP at half the price. But if you can afford SWP stay with it.
Let me ask you this......if there is a problem with their paint (Kelly Moore), what are the chances you will see one of their representatives out there trying to figure out what went wrong? Slim to none and Slim left town!

Granted, Kelly Moore is more locally made but tougher to find distributors vs the two big name companies like Sherwin Williams and Anom Nobel. Which means no reps to solve problems.

Last edited by BraniksPainting; 02-17-2012 at 05:23 PM.
BraniksPainting is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to BraniksPainting For This Useful Post:
housepaintingny (02-17-2012)
Old 02-17-2012, 05:41 PM   #5
Painting Company, NY

Rewards Points: 530

I use SW on a regular. I won't switch to another company. There products are great, my sales rep is fantastic, all of the employees at my local SW are very knowledgeable and fantastic as well. All of the years I have used SW I have never had one problem. Not to mention that they deliver and they have even delivered me a gallon on a few occasions. I don't base buying a product just on price. I base it on the overall package. The quality and customer service go a long way in deciding whom to buy product from.
housepaintingny is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to housepaintingny For This Useful Post:
Gymschu (02-17-2012)
Old 02-17-2012, 05:57 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by BraniksPainting View Post
Let me ask you this......if there is a problem with their paint (Kelly Moore), what are the chances you will see one of their representatives out there trying to figure out what went wrong? Slim to none and Slim left town!

Granted, Kelly Moore is more locally made but tougher to find distributors vs the two big name companies like Sherwin Williams and Anom Nobel. Which means no reps to solve problems.
Wrongo buckO Kelly-Moore is not in your state it is in the seven western states and Texas. And I have a great re pore with my KM Rep.
Old 02-17-2012, 06:51 PM   #7
Learning Things Every Day

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironlight View Post
the final straw was that the last gallon they sold me they did not even mix thoroughly. I was not paying complete attention and started painting with it...rolled it out and it was a different color than the cut in areas. Argh! Remix, recut, reroll, what a pain.
Sorry, but this "final straw" is actually your fault. If you have other beefs (beeves? ) with them, that's cool, but this shouldn't be one of them.

EDIT: Just looked up 'beeves' and discovered that it is in fact a real word.

Last edited by Jay 78; 02-17-2012 at 06:55 PM.
Jay 78 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Jay 78 For This Useful Post:
Nailbags (02-17-2012)
Old 02-17-2012, 07:43 PM   #8

Which Sherwin Williams paint is it?
slickracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 11:00 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay 78 View Post
Sorry, but this "final straw" is actually your fault. If you have other beefs (beeves? ) with them, that's cool, but this shouldn't be one of them.

EDIT: Just looked up 'beeves' and discovered that it is in fact a real word.
Uh, why is it my fault? They salesman said "Let me go mix it and shake it up for you." I usually interpret that to mean that the paint has been mixed, as it has been whenever I've bought paint in the last 25 years. I took it home, stuck a stick in and gave it a few turns and it looked ready to go. It did not sit for more than 30 minutes from mixing to pouring out to paint.

This is a Benjamin Moore store. I'm sad to say that on balance I've gotten superior service at Home Depot than I have from these clowns. And trust me, I really *want* to like that store as it's two blocks away and HD is eight miles away.

The paint itself was great. And I'm not saying any other Benjamin Moore store is anything like mine in the bad service department.
Old 02-17-2012, 11:02 PM   #10

Quote:
Yeah I can afford it and it's better than any other paint I've used so I'll probably stick with it. Real glad you have had good experiences with your other brands, and glad to know you're saving money.
Old 02-18-2012, 12:16 AM   #11

Rewards Points: 28

My only though on this is I'm sure Benjamin Moore would be interested in knowing that there is poor customer service and training at one of the stores that deal in their product. I would bet you'd get some resolve in a hurry.
Jim F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 06:10 AM   #12
Learning Things Every Day

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironlight View Post
Uh, why is it my fault? They salesman said "Let me go mix it and shake it up for you." I usually interpret that to mean that the paint has been mixed, as it has been whenever I've bought paint in the last 25 years. I took it home, stuck a stick in and gave it a few turns and it looked ready to go. It did not sit for more than 30 minutes from mixing to pouring out to paint.
I'm not trying to be a jerk, I hope I didn't come across that way. I'm just saying that it seems like quite the leap of faith to trust your paint to be thoroughly mixed by anyone other than yourself. Two minutes with the stick and "Remix, recut, reroll, what a pain" never happens.

Old 02-18-2012, 10:31 AM   #13

Rewards Points: 2,236

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay 78 View Post
I'm not trying to be a jerk, I hope I didn't come across that way. I'm just saying that it seems like quite the leap of faith to trust your paint to be thoroughly mixed by anyone other than yourself. Two minutes with the stick and "Remix, recut, reroll, what a pain" never happens.

Usually most paints today require time in the paintstore mixer to be properly mixed. A stir stick won't get it done.
Gymschu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 11:56 AM   #14

Quote:
Wrongo buckO Kelly-Moore is not in your state it is in the seven western states and Texas. And I have a great re pore with my KM Rep.
I know KM is not in my state and I never said they were. So this proves another point, with the almost unlimited availability of Sherwin Williams stores vs K-M Industry Holdings Inc. paints, it's a no brainer which company people choose. It has nothing to do with price. It has everything to do with quality of SW product, their extened hours, their discounts, their promotions & their amount of Reps available if needed.
By the way...how are the KM stock market shares these days?
Not arguing....just saying.
BraniksPainting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 01:42 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by BraniksPainting View Post
By the way...how are the KM stock market shares these days?
Not arguing....just saying.
KM is a 100% employee owned company so it not publicly traded. And when SWP projects to raise their prices 40 percent this year. Keep on buying it.