Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-09-2011, 09:32 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 75

Thought's on Re-Glazing a Bathtub

Thank's in advance for any advice...

Well I've got this old light blue bathtub I want to re-glaze to bright white...

I've been in automotive service field for 30 yr's and have owned a small home improvement business for 20 yr's of that time,so I'am pretty good with my hands,but have never done a re-glaze before..any tips

gotboost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 09:05 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 1,000

Hire someone. That's no job for the faint of heart, it's nasty, if it's done right. and, unless it's done right, it will be a lifetime of headache. There are no homeowner kits. Also, unless you do that for a living, you can't even buy the material you need to do it. At least that's in my area.

jsheridan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 09:39 AM   #3
Painting Company, NY

Rewards Points: 530

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsheridan View Post
Hire someone. That's no job for the faint of heart, it's nasty, if it's done right. and, unless it's done right, it will be a lifetime of headache. There are no homeowner kits. Also, unless you do that for a living, you can't even buy the material you need to do it. At least that's in my area.
Exactly, you will also need an hvlp sprayer to apply the coatings and usually a special heat lamp to cure the coatings instantly, depending on what system is used.
housepaintingny is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to housepaintingny For This Useful Post:
jsheridan (03-10-2011)
Old 03-10-2011, 10:03 AM   #4
Experienced

Rewards Points: 2,000

There are kits available at HD, you know the apron store, the kit provides all that is necessary, except the know how. They do have written instructions, never done it, but I would imagine that there are many that have, otherwise they wouldn't sell the kits.....right?

Mark
Old 03-10-2011, 10:29 AM   #5
Painting Company, NY

They may be kits to refinish a tub on the market, I would not trust the kit, especially knowing that there is special equipment needed that will not come in a kit. There is a special heat lamp that sells for $1,500. That's not coming in a kit and neither is an hvlp sprayer. Midwest chemicals sells the proper material and equipment for tub refinishing. You need an aerospace primer which can not be purchashed at a box store.
Old 03-10-2011, 11:19 AM   #6

Ditto housepaintingnewyork. When I said there are no homeowner kits, I didn't mean there aren't any on the market. There are none that will do the job properly. I've seen it done a few times. I looked into making it a part of my business, as there are only a few who do it, very few. There's only one way to do it, the right way, and it doesn't come in a kit, it comes in a truck. I've watched it being done. It's intensive and nasty. Short of the right way, it will fail.
Old 03-10-2011, 01:22 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 1,058

I have seen those kits fail miserably.
Old 03-10-2011, 01:23 PM   #8

Ron, XIM is a good company. There are products available, just as with everything else, to satisfy those of every economic level. But, as with everything else, you're going to get what you pay for. Not everyone can afford a specialty company to refinish their tub, so they go the lesser route. Fine. But they're going to make up the price difference in aggravation and inferiority. It doesn't make sense to pay those prices when you have the resources to avoid them. If you pay to have it done the right way, you only wince once, when you write the check. The other way you wince everytime you look at it failing. What's worse? Don't shop the best price, but the best job. Sometimes giving advice requires the underlying logic to further understanding.
Old 03-10-2011, 04:41 PM   #9

Ron, what is it exactly that I directed your way? How was what I said insulting or offensive to you? I wasn't attacking you. Did you follow the thread. Three professionals advised against using kits. I've seen two cases with the kits, one failed, the other was newly finished so I couldn't tell you whether it failed or not but I can tell you it didn't look good and she wasn't happy with the look either, her husband did it. I've seen a number that were done professionally and watched one done on a job I was on. It was a nasty, brutal looking job. The equipment and material involved in doing it properly, to last, are not kit grade. You can't even buy the material unless you do it for a living, what comes in a kit that replaces that. I gave my opinion backed with a rationalization for it, based on experience. Why were you offended?
Old 03-10-2011, 08:27 PM   #10
Super Master Painter

Rewards Points: 250

i agree, those kits are no good..................

Last edited by Ole34; 03-10-2011 at 09:34 PM.
Ole34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2011, 11:14 PM   #11

Rewards Points: 75

Thank's for the reply's.. got my hands on an old green colored bathtub going to re-finish it over the weekend,plan is to rough it up and seal it with PPG expoy primer,then finish it with Interlux bright white expoy topcoat...works great on boats how can it not work for a bathtub at least that's what I'am thinking..
Guess what I was really looking for advice on products to use,Thank's ago
gotboost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2011, 01:27 AM   #12

Keep us posted boost, you might prove us all wrong. I sent you a PM, did you receive?
Old 03-12-2011, 08:20 AM   #13
Painting Company, NY

Quote:
Originally Posted by gotboost View Post
Thank's for the reply's.. got my hands on an old green colored bathtub going to re-finish it over the weekend,plan is to rough it up and seal it with PPG expoy primer,then finish it with Interlux bright white expoy topcoat...works great on boats how can it not work for a bathtub at least that's what I'am thinking..
Guess what I was really looking for advice on products to use,Thank's ago
I did suggest to you in an earlier post that you can get products from midwestchemicals.com