Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-08-2012, 10:25 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Thinning paint for spraying

I have a Wagner homeowner type sprayer. I'm using exterior paint and the guy at the paint store said I might want to thin it with a little water. I am using gallon cans and wont be using it all at once. Should I add some water straight to the can? I've never used this sprayer before so can't judge to only mix the exact amount needed.

Thanks.

Woodsydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 10:34 PM   #2
Rubbin walls since'79

Rewards Points: 2,000

Doing a good job spraying isn't as easy as it sounds...
As far as thinning- I would add a 'splash" to just the cup on the gun, and see how it goes- if it atomizes well, there it is, if it runs too easy- too much. If it spatters- not enough.
it is a learning curve.

Old 06-08-2012, 10:51 PM   #3
Retired from the grind

Rewards Points: 2,342

Do not go any more than a measured liquid cup of water. Not a cup as in a cup in your cabinet, or a cup as something you found laying around. I mean a cup as in when you measure liquids in the kitchen with a Measuring cup. Any more than a cup of water and you end up having to repaint it again next year.
Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Ren: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool! Stimpy: So what'll happen? Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?
gregzoll is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 11:57 PM   #4
jschaben

Rewards Points: 502

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodsydad View Post
I have a Wagner homeowner type sprayer. I'm using exterior paint and the guy at the paint store said I might want to thin it with a little water. I am using gallon cans and wont be using it all at once. Should I add some water straight to the can? I've never used this sprayer before so can't judge to only mix the exact amount needed.

Thanks.
Hi - I've been using those sprayers for some time now. First off, I usually start thinning with a paint conditioner, ie. Floetrol or similar if using latex. I haven't found conditioners necessary for oil base though. As Brushjockey pointed out, thinning is kind of seat of the pants thing. I'll start with maybe an ounce of conditioner in a spray cup. The gun should prime itself in 15 or 20 seconds, if not add a little more. Once you get it to spray, add conditioner (up to the max recommended, 10% with Floetrol) then use water until you get good atomization. If it's to thin, add some paint.
One thing I always do before I start with paint is load it with water and make sure it primes and sprays plain water. Those things are very picky about being cleaned and if a small particle of leftover paint messes it up, you wont have expensive and messy paint to deal with while trying to get it going.
Good Luck.

"Where all think alike, no one is thinking very much"
jschaben is offline   Reply With Quote