Thinning An Exterior Oil Based Primer - Painting - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-21-2011, 05:52 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10
Question

thinning an exterior oil based primer

New to forum and the paint biz. I recently purchased a quick dry alkyd primer sealer to do my deck from a local paint co. On the can it says no thinner needed, though as I attempted to apply it was drying too quickly and was such a heavy paint, very thick it started to clump up. After several tries at applying I decided to try thinning and did a sample on a used piece of same wood. I am not sure what would be the recommended thinner but I had some naptha on hand. seemed to lay out so much better, though I am concerned as to whether it would break down the oil based paint too much. I am preferring a second opinion as to the dealers input at this time. Any help would in this matter would help.

Advertisement

knorseman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2011, 06:05 PM   #2
Rubbin walls since'79

Rewards Points: 2,000

thinning an exterior oil based primer

Quote:
Originally Posted by knorseman View Post
New to forum and the paint biz. I recently purchased a quick dry alkyd primer sealer to do my deck from a local paint co. On the can it says no thinner needed, though as I attempted to apply it was drying too quickly and was such a heavy paint, very thick it started to clump up. After several tries at applying I decided to try thinning and did a sample on a used piece of same wood. I am not sure what would be the recommended thinner but I had some naptha on hand. seemed to lay out so much better, though I am concerned as to whether it would break down the oil based paint too much. I am preferring a second opinion as to the dealers input at this time. Any help would in this matter would help.

2 problems, that I see.

1- a bit depending where you are, but to paint a deck with a solid paint is asking for trouble. a semi transparent or even full transparent that will wear off, not chip off will be easier to maintain, because decks are all about doing over. Every 2 years probably.

2 - a fast oil has no time to sink into the wood. Even for priming bare wood on trim, a slow oil is better, and naptha just makes it faster.
Regular spirits and a slow oil if you have to- a stain would be better.

Advertisement

Brushjockey is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Brushjockey For This Useful Post:
chrisn (07-22-2011), jsheridan (07-21-2011), knorseman (07-21-2011)