Thinking Of Staining/sealing Deck - Painting - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-15-2011, 08:58 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 252

thinking of staining/sealing deck

PT deck is about 6-9 months old (some parts are newer than other) and I am all set to pressure wash and apply sherwin williams oil base stain, I am wondering though if this is something I have to do every few years, if I should even do it.... I mean can i pressure wash deck in a few years and it will look not much different than if I had added stain or not?? Am I only buying a few years w/ stain, so it will hold up for 4 years versus 2 ??? Or should i go with a different product that will last longer ie: epoxy etc...???

Advertisement

Last edited by ugabulldog; 04-15-2011 at 09:39 PM.
ugabulldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2011, 12:01 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,000

Quote:
Originally Posted by ugabulldog View Post
PT deck is about 6-9 months old (some parts are newer than other) and I am all set to pressure wash and apply sherwin williams oil base stain, I am wondering though if this is something I have to do every few years, if I should even do it.... I mean can i pressure wash deck in a few years and it will look not much different than if I had added stain or not?? Am I only buying a few years w/ stain, so it will hold up for 4 years versus 2 ??? Or should i go with a different product that will last longer ie: epoxy etc...???
Stain itself is just a color, it does nothing to protect the wood. What's important are UV protectors and water repellants the stain includes. Check out Consumer Reports on exterior deck stains for the best one available.
Decks require that they be protected on a regular basis. How frequently you need to do it depends on the quality of the material you put on, the exposure to the Sun and the elements and how well you apply it.
The decks' wood should be dry enough to absorb the most material possible. A deck with a high moisture content will not suck in enough material to protect it long or at all.
Ron

Advertisement

Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2011, 07:48 PM   #3
Painting Company, NY

Rewards Points: 540

Decks need to be washed every year and re stained accordingly every 2-4 years depending on the type of stain you use. The key is proper preparation. When washing the deck use a quality deck wash and a pressure washer with low pressure 500-800psi is sufficient. After washing and removing all of the grey, which is dead wood fibers then apply a brightner, this will brighten the wood, remove any rust from nails, and open the pours. Then sand as needed. Moisture test and apply a quality stain. Sherwin Williams, Sikkens, Cabott. Using the right cleaners you can take the dirtiest of decks and have it looking like new again. Most people never use a brightner or remove all of the gray. I prefer to use a per carbonated deck cleaner which does not contain bleach, bleach actually has long term affects on wood.
housepaintingny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2011, 08:55 PM   #4
Too Short? Cut it Again!

Rewards Points: 2,000

Decks do require annual attention if not application of stain.

What concerns me is that yours is pressure treated including all the decking? And only 6-9 months old? I think you need to wait the pressure treatment out another 3 months or so or risk a result you will not be happy with. It will not hurt to add stain but it may not be absorbed the way it should.

There are stains that will work with YOUNG pressure treated lumber but I have never gotten one to work especially well.

user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote